Entrance exams

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

cherie

Entrance exams

Post by cherie »

**** there,

I'm new on here and am a mom to 3 children, my eldest being 10. I was told when he was in yr4 that he is grammar school material and have been looking at a local(ish) grammar school which has an entrance exam. I've spoken to the head at our primary school and she said ds is definetly capable academically but would need training for the exams. I'm not really in a position financially at the moment to be able to have a tutor for him and just wondered if you can do it without or if you NEED one?

I would be greatful of any advice.
Many thanks Cherie
Snowdrops

Re: Entrance exams

Post by Snowdrops »

Hi, and welcome to the forum Cherie,

Yes, you can do it without a tutor.

you will need to tell us which area your dc will be sitting so you can be advised accordingly.
cherie

Post by cherie »

Hi there,

Thanks for the reply. We live in Wolverhampton in the West Midlands and will be applying for Queen Mary's. My ds is emtremely bright but lacks in common sense, just like his mom, so I know he will be needing help and I know I've left it quite late but have been umming and ahring over what to do for the last 12 months and have only just decided to go for it. If he sits the exam and doesn't pass or doesn't want to go there, what have we lost?

Thanks again Cherie
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Hi Cherie

I don't know the area or the exams your DS is likely to sit, you will need to post this in the relevant section. Go to the main index board and scroll right down until you come to the Wolverhampton and Wrekin board. You will find lots of information there. You can start this thread again on there and ask specific questions for the school you're interested in.
fm

Post by fm »

If that is Queen Mary's, Walsall, you need to look on the Birmingham/Walsall section. It is a University of Durham exam now and there is a sticky on the contents of previous KE Birmingham exams. Walsall is written by the same organisation and, while not exactly the same exam, does require the same type of abilities to pass i.e. extensive and advanced vocabulary, quick arithmetic, problem solving etc. etc..

A tutor isn't necessary as long as you have a clear idea of how to prepare your child.
cherie

Post by cherie »

Thanks ever so much for that. See, you can tell it's all new, I haven't got a clue. Will have a nosy over there.