name tape and gum shield

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

supertrex

name tape and gum shield

Post by supertrex »

Sort of silly questions:

1. name tapes need to be sewn on clothings and uniform but the school does not specific where. Where do you normally sew it. The name tapes that I purchased seems a bit stratching if I sew it on the collar.

2. gum shields - any recommendation for branding or any kind in sport shops okay?

:mrgreen:
Snowdrops

Re: name tape and gum shield

Post by Snowdrops »

Name tapes as you say can be scratchy - or they fall off eventually. In the end (after dd experiencing both scratching and falling off) we went for the old indelible marker pen and we write on the labels already sewn into the garments. The pen's also good for writing names in shoes and other such awkward items.

Gum shields, the recommended one is Opropo (or something like that - someone else will come along and give the proper name) but our dentist recommended one of the sports shop ones because dd will be having a brace fitted next month and the mouth changes so much during the time of the brace wearing he doesn't recommend one which is permanently moulded to one particular shape (the shop ones you can remould) but, having said that, there were differing opinions last year on this topic too.
supertrex

Post by supertrex »

Thanks.

That means I can sew the tapes inside the garments, I believe it would be less stratchy than sewing it on the collar. A marker would be a good idea. Do you use marker for the white shirts?
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Yes, I use it on everything. Just make sure if you use it that you only write on the labels that are already inside the garment (I usually try to do it on the ones inside the back neck, it's easier and quicker to find names then).
LazyDaisy

Post by LazyDaisy »

The brand Snowdrops is referring to is OPRO - this is the one ds has been using for the last couple of years. No braces here (yet!!) so it has been fine.
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Thanks LD, I could remember it having those letter in is all :lol: :lol: :lol:
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

FWIW our orthodontist, who has two sons playing county level, told me Opro is completely over the top unless playing at a very high level.

Mike
First-timer

Post by First-timer »

Why is that, I wonder? Can't you get hurt just as badly by rank amateurs?
Last edited by First-timer on Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zorro

Post by zorro »

DS had Opro mouthguard fitted at school in Y7 and then because he now has a brace he wears one which we got from the orthodontist.
With regard to name tapes , you can put them anywhere( apart from games kit) at DS's school. Games kit labels are sewn on the chest for the tops and outside of shorts. We had a diagram of where to put all the labels. If it doesn't specify on your uniform list I would think you can put them where you like!
morrisdancingmummy

Post by morrisdancingmummy »

Hi there.
Re Mouthguards:

As a general dentist its me who sees the results of kids who only have sports shop mouthguards or ( heaven forbid ) none at all!!! :evil:
Orthodontists correct misplaced teeth with braces but don't have to carry out root canal treatments and repair smashed teeth (or stitch smashed faces) after contact with rugby ball/ hockey stick etc. So I am suprised that a professional colleague would suggest that substandard protection would suffice if not playing at an advanced level! In my daughters class the LESS co-ordinated kids are the ones who are more likely to miss a ball/ misplace a stick etc, not the athletically gifted! :lol:

PLEASE don't accept anything less than a properly fitted dental mouthguard made by your dentist. And replace it as soon as it doesn't fit any more. I have had to put right too many ruined smiles not to feel this strongly!

Your childs smile and your peace of mind is so important- if you're willing to go to all the trouble of getting them into the best schools surely something as simple as a proper mouthgaurd is NOT the place to skimp....

I promise to get off my soap box now.