Where else apart from the Grammars?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
MoJo

Where else apart from the Grammars?

Post by MoJo »

I just wondered what other choice schools other parents were looking at apart from the grammars?
Having done a few visits now, I have seen some good schools, and my son actually prefers Harris !
I have a son at LS, and although he has had a good time there, I am actually concerned that it's not actually the best at doing everything! I now think it's important to have a good time with other activities and a bit of fun at school too (and more sport)- evidence of which i see more of at other schools. They seem to have far more extra things going on than the Grammars (day and night)!
I know it's easy to be blinded by the fantastic results - but rememer they should and will be excellent - they have the brightest kids! I am finding it a lot harder to choose a school than I first thought, and I am not actually now that convinced the Grammar choice should be the be all and end all - even though my child is very bright!
Ed's mum

Re: Where else apart from the Grammars?

Post by Ed's mum »

From mention of LSS and Harris, can I assume you want schools within Rugby or could it be further away?
Could you consider fee-paying or is it a state school that you would want?
Rugbymum

Re: Where else apart from the Grammars?

Post by Rugbymum »

What about Ashlawn?

I think LSS (compared with other secondary schools in the area including RHS) actually provides more enrichment activities and sports within school hours (probably cos pupils need to catch their school bus home if they live a long away). My son has one double PE lesson & one single PE lesson plus two enrichment classes within his school week.

Compared with the non grammars, the grammars in the area do not do a lot to promote themselves - RHS's open evenings during the past few years have been very dreary. Also, because of what my son's old primary school friends tell him, I am not really convinced that other schools really do have more going on.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now