Practice papers and Tutors e-papers.

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
dani*

Practice papers and Tutors e-papers.

Post by dani* »

We just finished the Susan Daughtrey VR books. DD did well in those.

As we are running out of revision materials, I'm trying to get some papers together for over the summer and I intend the get the download papers from the Tutors, however I'm not sure if I should start her on level 2 or 3. Has anyone used these in the past to prepare for Bexley and Kent?

Also I noticed that the Tutors don't seem to do any maths papers. We have the download version of the Maths(1) and VR (1) CDs but we have not used it much. For some reason DD seems to be doing a lot better with the Pencil and Paper method.

I bought the IPS daily practice tests as well as the IPS how to do... and NFER papers which I will keep hidden until mid August.

Can anyone please recommend any Maths and VR papers for Bexley and Dartford.

On the NVR front, we are using BOND and we have the NFER paper. I think we will just leave it at that

Thanks.
Tracy

Re: Practice papers and Tutors e-papers.

Post by Tracy »

Dani,

VR - we found level 2 easy and if you have completed the SD papers then I would suggest level 3 for the Tutors at least. We didn't try level 4 as I thought it would be too high a level. With hindsight however....

Maths - Nfer used to be 'the papers' to have but so much has changed over the years and I have heard a lot of kids saying that the nfers bear no resemblance to the content and layout of the real thing. Apparently Bond is closest now. Unless anyone else can come up with an alternative I'd stick with Bond.
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

Dani - You could try Walsh VR. They are similar to Susan Daughtrey, but if memory serves, a bit harder.

We never did much maths beyond Nfer and Bond but I think it's harder with maths to predict the type of questions so any practice is good practice. Questions can be quite wordy and children who can do the maths involved, will often misread the question and therefore come up with the wrong answer. When we did maths papers I used to keep a note of any questions that my kids got wrong because they'd forgotten the concept involved or couldn't remember what something meant. I'd then use this as a checklist nearer the exam. I also included in my checklist things they knew but wanted to make sure they didn't forget (properties of different shapes, different types of triangles, how to work out areas of different shapes, co-ordinates, meaning of words like product, mode, mean, median, range, vertex, quotient.) We had quite a good little maths dictionary which was very useful to whizz through to make sure they understood everything. Not sure if I'm allowed to say the name of the author?

Good luck!
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

the Usborne illustrated Dictionary of maths is excellent.
dani*

Post by dani* »

Thanks for your help. I have ordered Welsh papers as well as the little maths dictionary. DD seems to understand the concept of VR. Her downfall is vocabulary ... if a lot of tricky words come up in the VR test than we had it. Where she made mistakes in the SD papers was usually because she had no clue what the words meant. I have printed the Important 11+ words and a list of compound words from this site, but who knows which ones will come up. I'm not sure if it is worthwhile investing a lot of time in them.

Her maths is good (5b) , but I fear for the wordy questions...

The only thing we can do at this stage is practice reading maths questions and practice the VR, trouble is to find the best papers for this area.

We may just have to pin our hope on Dartford, NVR seems to be her best subject by far, shame Bexley got rid of the NVR.

Interesting thing is, I know someone who attends a private school and the only practice papers the school has given to practice over the summer are NFER and one paper for common entrance. :?

Dani
Brenda Jean

Post by Brenda Jean »

Hi Yo Yo,
This is my first post - so hello to everyone!!

May I ask - do you mean the the Usborne illustrated Dictionary of maths junior version?

Thank you
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

not sure if it is the Junior version. It has an orange cover with lots of geometric shapes around it
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now