11+ Exam on computer for special needs??

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

kjpt99

11+ Exam on computer for special needs??

Post by kjpt99 »

Can anyone give me any advice on taking the 11+exam on computer?
My son has Dyspraxia and slight Asperger's and he finds the example papers form GL Assessment very awkward to deal with as the papers are in very small type. He is very disorganised and needs lots of space to work things out as his writing is big.
I have been told that it is possible to take the 11+ on computer but I can't find any information on this, what format it takes and if there are any example computer papers I can get so that he can try them out.
Can anyone help?
Thanks
yoyo123

Re: 11+ Exam on computer for special needs??

Post by yoyo123 »

Which area are you in?

if the 11 plus is centrally organised then speaking to/e-mailing the local authority may help.

if the test is administered by the secondary school itself you could ask them.

is your son on the special needs register at all? if so speak to the school senco and/or any outside agencies that are workiing with your son. S/he may be able to suggest the best wy to organise any additional help needed.

edited to add: I have deleted your duplicate post so that the answers will all be in one place.
kjpt99

Post by kjpt99 »

Hello,

Thanks for the reply.

We are in Wiltshire and according to the registrar at Bishop Wordsworth's I believe there is a panel made up of people from the school and other health professionals who look at these requests.

I am awaiting a reply from son's physio to see if she can give us some guidance on what help we should be requesting.

What worries me is that he won't be able to practise any computer based exam if such a thing exists.

Regards
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

I suggest posting in the Wiltshire section of this site or asking the school direct what the format of the test is. What subjects and whether it is multiple choice or standard form, so that he can practise the correct format.

If computerised test is not practical, could he maybe have additional time or have the paper enlarged.

Could the school senco help? In Kent we have "Partnership with Parents" which is an independent group that helps parents of SEN children with this sort of request. You couuld ask if there is something similar in your county.

The CD/downloads on this site are computer based practice material, but you would need to find out more about the test he will be taking so that you can order the right ones.