Is it ok to practise various papers from various authors?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Cat90

Is it ok to practise various papers from various authors?

Post by Cat90 »

Good morning,

We have applied to Cheltenham and Gloucestershire schools.

This is my first post so sorry if you have answered similar questions in the past. I would like to say thank you for creating this site as it has helped me enormously and made me feel capable and equipped me with the skilled needed to help my child with the test preparation. My questions are as follows,

1) We are using GL practise papers, Susan J. Daughtrey (Techniques 1-4) and recently purchased Bright Sparks. I'm looking to purchase IPS Verbal Reasoning Practise papers and also Walsh 11+ papers (to start in Sept). Is it ok to get the child to practise various papers from various authors? what would you recommend?

2) In your experience, how many papers should the child practise from September onward per day or per week? (both my child and I are enjoying the experience and having fun with various topics especially compound words thanks to Patricia's advice).

3) When would be best to start timing the child to do 85 questions in 50mns?

Thank you for taking the time to respond.
EmeraldE

Re: Is it ok to practise various papers from various authors

Post by EmeraldE »

Hi
I would say yes (with a caution) to practicing papers which contain types other than those they say will appear on the paper. The reason I say this is they can change the types at their discretion without warning. That said, I would not go there if the child is easily confused/stressed as it is/you feel there needs to be more practice on the known types. I would tend to see it as 'extension' work when the basics are well versed.

As for how many papers, well that's very subjective. It depends on your child,how much practice they need and how confident they are on the question types. You have to judge it on your own child; some need more some less. Whatever you do do not listen to the playground gossip about who is doing what. It will most likely be 50% truth as everyone susses out the competition. I know of one woman who told me she did the 4 Nfer papers and that was all. Her DD dropped her right in it with my DS when she confessed she did "loads of papers." People do not like to say to much about it for fear they may be judged either one way or another.

When it comes to timing, you could keep an eye on her timing without her knowing in the meantime but make your DC aware of what time she should be completing the test within. Some kids/parents get very stressed about timing but with practice it is usual to complete within the time limit. If it is something which spurs your child on..set a timer. If it tends to make them tense and anxious keep a covert eye on the time and then when they complete within mention it with praise :D Eventually they do have to get used to timing as it is a big factor on the day. I have timed all my DS's tests just to get a bench mark, but I do not always tell him about it. My DS1 was always about 5 mins over time until about a month before the exam when he appeared to speed up, so do not panic if they are outside by a small margin.
Perplexed 2009

Post by Perplexed 2009 »

When will your DC be sitting the test - this October?
Cat90

Post by Cat90 »

EmeraldE wrote:Hi
I would say yes (with a caution) to practicing papers which contain types other than those they say will appear on the paper. The reason I say this is they can change the types at their discretion without warning. That said, I would not go there if the child is easily confused/stressed as it is/you feel there needs to be more practice on the known types. I would tend to see it as 'extension' work when the basics are well versed.

As for how many papers, well that's very subjective. It depends on your child,how much practice they need and how confident they are on the question types. You have to judge it on your own child; some need more some less. Whatever you do do not listen to the playground gossip about who is doing what. It will most likely be 50% truth as everyone susses out the competition. I know of one woman who told me she did the 4 Nfer papers and that was all. Her DD dropped her right in it with my DS when she confessed she did "loads of papers." People do not like to say to much about it for fear they may be judged either one way or another.

When it comes to timing, you could keep an eye on her timing without her knowing in the meantime but make your DC aware of what time she should be completing the test within. Some kids/parents get very stressed about timing but with practice it is usual to complete within the time limit. If it is something which spurs your child on..set a timer. If it tends to make them tense and anxious keep a covert eye on the time and then when they complete within mention it with praise :D Eventually they do have to get used to timing as it is a big factor on the day. I have timed all my DS's tests just to get a bench mark, but I do not always tell him about it. My DS1 was always about 5 mins over time until about a month before the exam when he appeared to speed up, so do not panic if they are outside by a small margin.
Thank you for your feedback!
Cat90

Post by Cat90 »

Perplexed 2009 wrote:When will your DC be sitting the test - this October?
Yes! this October.
Perplexed 2009

Post by Perplexed 2009 »

I'd use Walsh and Susan D mixed with easier GL (?). I wouldn't time these if timing is possibly an issue, as these papers are very hard.

My DD1, who sat the test last November, has always had timing issues, but what she did she got right. She did not have time to finish the (2nd) real test, but got a good pass and into grammar.

l did time her nearer the test - last few weeks - just to give her the experience. She speeded up a bit in real test as it wasn't just a test in her crowded bedroom.

Keeping calm, or at least pretending you are to your DC, seems a good idea.

Good Luck and enjoy the summer.
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

I used the same papers as Perplexed with my DSs. I started them about two months before the actual test (we had done some practice on individual Q types before then). On the day of the test they sit two papers back to back so I did the same thing at home once a week. I supplemented that in the week with the tutors dailies levels three and four.

Where I differ from the above posters is that I always timed the tests and gave them their half time, 10 mins etc warnings just as they do on the day. I found they quickly came up to speed. Neither of my sons had timing issues as a result of this. On the day DS1 didn't quite finish his last paper but this was because he has spelling issues and had to write out all the compound words etc before committing to an answer.

Good luck.

p.s the week before the actual test one of the papers was a GL type as I believe their format is the closest to that sat on the day and do remember that the the first paper has a different answer sheet format (or has for the last two years see above sticky)
pixiequeen

Post by pixiequeen »

and do remember that the the first paper has a different answer sheet format (or has for the last two years see above sticky)
Tolstoy, I notice on your other post about answer sheets on the sticky you mention that you were going to try and re-create one - did you manage sucessfully? I would really love an example of this kind of answer sheet and I am worried DD will be really thrown - She also has some vision/perceptual problems that might cause her problems getting the right answers in the right boxes, if you see what I mean, so I would love her to experience this before the test. Any info. you can share would be really appreciated.

Many thanks

Pixiequeen
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

vision/perceptual problems that might cause her problems getting the right answers in the right boxes, if you see what I mean, so I would love her to experience this before the test.
I know exactly what you mean. My DS2 didn't like the format and used to tick the Q as he answered it. them having messed up with the very first example he did, ticked two answers on the same line. Unfortunately he didn't use the technique in the actual exam because he thought he would get told off.

Will pm you what I have got.
Cat90

Post by Cat90 »

Tolstoy wrote:
vision/perceptual problems that might cause her problems getting the right answers in the right boxes, if you see what I mean, so I would love her to experience this before the test.
I know exactly what you mean. My DS2 didn't like the format and used to tick the Q as he answered it. them having messed up with the very first example he did, ticked two answers on the same line. Unfortunately he didn't use the technique in the actual exam because he thought he would get told off.

Will pm you what I have got.
Can you PM me a copy please?

Thank you for your help.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now