Test percentage marks-what's a passable score

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Doblinski

Test percentage marks-what's a passable score

Post by Doblinski »

In weekly tests DD's usually gets 90 something % :D , one or two 80 somethings :) and a couple of 70 something %'s :shock: . She's been having tutoring since January. When we averaged out all her scores recently scores fell into 80% bracket - in your experience is this OK? Do you think she stands a reasonable chance at the Tiffin Girls exam, or do we need to do more practise papers and up the ante?

Thanks Dobbers
mad?

Re: Test percentage marks-what's a passable score

Post by mad? »

Hi Doblinski, I would ask her tutor. Also have a look at whether the scores increased over time and with practise. If they have consider only the more recent ones, if not then is any extra likely to help. With reference to the specific percentages you cite, it depends what tests they are, and, on the day, how the cohort perform.
Good luck
mad?
whichwitch

Post by whichwitch »

Are the tests mixed over all the different types or each test on a specific type? If its a specific type she is getting the 70% scores on then maybe ask the tutor for a couple of one to ones for her to crack any areas she is having slight issues with.
Doblinski

Post by Doblinski »

Mmm, not sure, the tests are VR and NVR at mo. I'll check if the low ones are in a specific area. Her marks are random going up and down throughout, but I will check with the tutor too - thanks. Spose I just assumed marks should be getting better.
2Girlsmum

Post by 2Girlsmum »

It's possible some tests are 'heavy' on types of questions she is better or worse at. Our dd has a scoring at the back of one set of Bond English tests like a large zig-zag - the 95% scores grammar and punctuation heavy, the 75% comprehension. Look at what's in the tests and see if you can identify types of questions she needs work on. Also the time of day and other activities on the day prior to the test can impact on scores.
Doblinski

Post by Doblinski »

Yes types of questions may be the issue, I'd just put it down to a bad week - especially at the end of term when DD was pooped and scores dropped off!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now