12+ test

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
drummer

12+ test

Post by drummer »

simple question and apologies if the answer is in a 'sticky' but, can the children write on the question paper?

Thanks
dejavu

Re: 12+ test

Post by dejavu »

They are not supposed to, which is why it is best to get them to practice their "workings outs" on a spare scrap of paper (something about the papers being re-used). But I asked the same question before my DD took the 12+, as she had problems using scrap pieces and kept on making silly mistakes when transferring data. I phoned up county and the lady there assured me that she would not be penalised if she had written on her question paper, which she did, and passed - so I wouldn't be too concerned.
many thanks
dejavu
drummer

Post by drummer »

thank you, my ds also has problems with handwriting and data transfer so this is a real worry
Dad40

Post by Dad40 »

They're not meant to write on it but I think many do (and don't get penalised).

In such circumstances, they should scrap the rule as some parents will drum it into kids not to write on the paper no matter how much it slows them down.....while others will just do what they like.

And I can't see the point of the rule anyway.
patricia

Post by patricia »

Personally I do not agree with this.

If the rule says no writing on the question booklet, then the rule should be adhered to. The test becomes unfair if different rules are used at the same sitting.

The rules on skirts being no more than 10 cm above the knee, if the rule is there, then keep to it, if its not enforced why bother with it?

I could write an essay, but I will not bore you with the details, the point of the matter is: If there is a rule then keep to it, if it is not enforced, dont bother having the beeping rule in the first place...

It teaches our children that rules dont matter! :evil:

Patricia
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

Agree entirely, Patricia - and in this case it is those flouting the rules who effectively have an unfair advantage...which doesn't seem right. It's a bit like saying "You're not prepared to play by the rules so have an extra five minutes as a reward." I suspect the reason they turn a blind eye to candidates writing on the question paper is simply because the rule is designed to save a few quid, rather than to make the test more challenging. If a rule is known not to be enforced then there will be those that ignore it... :roll:
Marylou
dejavu

Post by dejavu »

I feel like playing Devil's Advocate here. Actually - when my DD did the 12+ I thought she had written on the question paper - and asked her last night if she did - and she said she didn't - even though the lady at Bucks CC said she wouldn't be penalised. But surely writing on the test paper (which I could do 35 years ago for my "o" levels!) isn't such a heinous crime (the exam and all the pressure for the 12+ is bad enough) as actually being heavily tutored for the exam - which might not be considered as breaking the rules per se, but some would consider it as bending them and certainly not a level playing field! Doing a few scribbles on an exam paper which lasts less than an hour? Or being tutored for hours over a year or two? Enough said.
many thanks
dejavu
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Dejavu

Please do not take the following personally, you asked a valid question of County and were given an answer.

The majority of children sitting the Late Transfer will have been tutored/coached by a parent or tutor. Tutoring/coaching by a parent or tutor is not against the rules, writing on the question booklet is.

Children who keep to the rules, are without a doubt penalised, it takes longer to make rough workings on a piece of paper and then transfer them to a separate answer sheet. There is also as you pointed out with your daughter a margin of error in the transferring.

I am not in any way agreeing or disagreeing with the rule, but it is a rule and therefore should be adhered to. The lady at Bucks CC should never have encouraged a parent/s to do otherwise, she and invigiltors who allow it are not doing BCC any favours and are encouraging an unfair testing process.

An extract fom the 11 plus manual...

The testing procedure is critical to the process. Its validity rests on the reliability of the
tests, and the professionalism of those who administer them. Fairness is at the heart of the
exercise. We know that we must ensure that every pupil entered has the opportunity to
perform at his or her best but, equally important, we must demonstrate to others,
including parents, that the process is fair and properly organised.

Bucks CC should either keep to their own rules or scrap them.

Patricia

PS, I would be very happy if they were scrapped...