appeal in warwickshire

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
bugsy

appeal in warwickshire

Post by bugsy »

help. My son scored 250 in his vr test and need 259. Unfortunatly he was very poorly last year. I have been encouraged to appeal by county and intend to get input from gps and teachers , everyone so far seems willing to help. I would not be taking this further but I believe that he is a bright kid that would have passed had he been on top form. Any tips please. He had surgery in June and his health has only started to pick up since xmas. He misssed his 1st paper and I was so worried about delaying things further I encouraged him to sit the 2nd on time. It was this paper that let him down the most (scoring 118). We have the chance of appealing to 2 grammer schools however our preffered one is full so do I need a 2 pronged attack?
Sorry if this is garbled. I think he did well under the circumstances and feel we owe it to him to have one more go.
Thanks
bugsy

Post by bugsy »

Etienne desperate to hear your comments on the above.
Just contacted an EP who was willing to do a cognitive assessment which could be used to predict his future academic success.
Thanks
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear bugsy

You seem to be doing all the right things. It sounds as if you've got the support of the school. You've looked at the Q&As. You're getting an Ed.Psych report to see what alternative evidence that might produce.

If I were on the panel hearing your appeal, I'd also be interested in any academic evidence that relates to the period before your son's illness. In particular, were his KS1 results mostly level 3s?

Regards
Etienne
bugsy

Post by bugsy »

Thanks for that. Just dug out his results for the end of key stage one and they are all level 3. Surprised I found them so easily as have not used that file since we moved here. So far so good!? :)
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Just what I was hoping for! Excellent!

Be sure to submit them as evidence of how your son was performing before the illness.

Have a look too at some of the earlier reports (especially if they mention high achievement).

Regards
Etienne
bugsy

EP pulled out

Post by bugsy »

After finding an EP through the BPS website she has informed me today that she can not go ahead as she is also employed by the LEA and there could be a conflict of intrest!
The school is compiling evidence and the GP is supporting me and wil write a letter detailing my sons problems. So, do I take this as a sign that an EP report could prejudice our case or do I find another one out of area? Always worry that panel may not like the idea of people paying for supporting evidence.

Having really bad day! Guy just tried to run me off the road, washing machine broken down! Think I might just go to bed or perhaps hit the gin!!!!

Post by Guest »

Hang in there,Bugsy.

Can't really offer you help as I don't have all the work you have to do.
You're doing a great job! Today is just a hiccup. You don't need the extra hassles but just prioritise everything and give yourself some slack.

Supporting you in thought!
Etienne

Re: EP pulled out

Post by Etienne »

Dear bugsy

Personally I would try another educational psychologist.

I understand your concern that a panel might think you're "buying the evidence", but I don't believe it would prejudice your appeal - it's more a matter of just how much weight the panel decide to give the report. I would make a point of telling the panel that you felt obliged to produce some sort of evidence that your son can do VR and that the previous result was a blip!

This pre-supposes that you get the VR result you want. The figure to look for is the percentile - the higher the better! Something approaching the 90th percentile would be ideal and very useful evidence. If the result is not good enough, then you don't have to submit the report.

Incidentally, if VR is the only test that is of interest, it's worth seeing if you can get the Ed. Psych. to focus on this, and perhaps charge a lower fee .........

Regards
Etienne
bugsy

Post by bugsy »

thanks Etienne I found another EP today so everything now back on track :D
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi

You are only paying for their professional opinion - after all it doesn't come free - I expect you will have to pay for the GPs letter too as that comes outside the realm of NHS work. Just becasue you pay for it doesn't mean it will be biased towards your case, you are just paying for their time.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now