To Tutor or not to Tutor that is the question!

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
lottie

To Tutor or not to Tutor that is the question!

Post by lottie »

Hi All

Our DD was lucky (I personally think that Luck plays a huge part with a significant number of kids who sit the test) enough to get a grammar school place, without having been tutored.

However, it has gone against her. I have just had her report and even though she has got A* in the science, Geography, Spanish, ICT and History exams - A's in all her other subjects and x1 B in MATHS.

B in maths is a disappoinment for her as she was top performer in her primary.

The problem that she has faced is, the teacher ASSUMES that all the kids know alot already and has skipped the basics. Which is true for the tutored lot - most of them are probably just below GCSE standard in year 7! - but for non tutored kids it's like trying to build a house without the foundations!

As neither I or my DH are academic in anyway - we have not been able to help her with homework etc and she is too shy to ask for help at school or to ask the teacher to explain the basic principles.

Lottie x
mitasol

Re: To Tutor or not to Tutor that is the question!

Post by mitasol »

I think her results sound really good! :D
Perhaps a good maths textbook or revision guide would help to iron out any missing pieces.
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

How about trying out the BBC Bitesize bit on maths. You need only do the bits she feels she needs help with and, because of the way it's laid out you and your OH may be able to help her more than you think!
mystery

Post by mystery »

Do you think she is generally not "getting" the maths in the way she would have hoped to? Or was it just her year end exam result that was unexpected? Is she struggling during the year? Does this particular teacher mark harder or did everyone get A*?

I think it unlikely that the others were nearly GCSE standard from their tutoring - more likely AS level!
mattsurf

Post by mattsurf »

lottie wrote:Hi All

However, it has gone against her. I have just had her report and even though she has got A* in the science, Geography, Spanish, ICT and History exams - A's in all her other subjects and x1 B in MATHS.

Lottie x
I think that you need to be very careful complaning that DD ONLY got 6 A*, 1 B and the rest A's - This is an excellent set of results and worthy of a high level of commendation and praise to your DD. To be honest, I think that you have very little to worry about, if DD gets GCSE result like this then she will be able to choose whatever she wants to do for A Level

I would be delighted if DS came home at the end of year 7 with a set of results like this!

lottie wrote:Hi All

The problem that she has faced is, the teacher ASSUMES that all the kids know alot already and has skipped the basics. Which is true for the tutored lot - most of them are probably just below GCSE standard in year 7! - but for non tutored kids it's like trying to build a house without the foundations!

Lottie x
My DS was tutored for 1 hour per week for 6 months, and we know many kids who were tutored. In my experience, tutors do not go beyond the 11+ sylabus - yes they may cover some subjects such as Algebra, which is not covered at primary until later in year 6. The fact that your DD passed the 11+ would indicate that she had as good a level of Maths as the other tutored kids who passed the exam. The fact that she got a B also indicates that she is not really struggling too much either!

I have heard the comment that an 11+ pupil could pass a GCSE - probably with a low grade such as an "E" - GCSE maths is really easy at the lower end
andyb

Post by andyb »

mattsurf wrote:I would be delighted if DS came home at the end of year 7 with a set of results like this!
I'd think my DS had brought someone elses report card home :lol:
fm

Post by fm »

To Lottie,

My eldest went to the school your daughter attends.

From memory most maths teachers there used to assume the children can cope with brief explanations and a couple of lessons on topics a comprehensive would spend two weeks on. Many of her friends were going home and asking for explanations from mum or dad.

I tutor for grammar school and indeed several of my pupils will be on your daughter's year and I assure you I did no secondary work with them whatsover because, contrary to rumour, none of any substance appears in the exam.

I think you are making the wrong assumptions about why her B isn't quite in the same league as the rest. It could be she had an off day on the day of the exam. Or it could be her particular teacher is stingy with his A's. Or it could be she just isn't as naturally good at maths as she is in all her other subjects.

As to asking the teacher for a further explanation, that is almost unheard of in grammar schools, whether the child is shy or not. The kids would sooner die!

I would certainly chill on the whole thing or you will risk leaving her with the idea she isn't good at maths when the truth is she just isn't currently as good as some of the other children but that hardly makes her bad.
katel

Post by katel »

On what planet are A*s, As and a B not the most amazing results?
katel

Post by katel »

"As to asking the teacher for a further explanation, that is almost unheard of in grammar schools, whether the child is shy or not. The kids would sooner die!"

And in which grammar schools is this true? Ones who have no idea how to provide a decent eduaction for their pupils?
Amber

Post by Amber »

katel wrote:"As to asking the teacher for a further explanation, that is almost unheard of in grammar schools, whether the child is shy or not. The kids would sooner die!"

And in which grammar schools is this true? Ones who have no idea how to provide a decent eduaction for their pupils?
We looked at several schools (grammar and otherwise) in this area and because I had heard that this might be the case, I always asked the pupil showing us round this exact question - 'how easy is it to ask for help if you haven't understood something?'. In every school except one, the children explained very convincingly that it was easy and people, including themselves, did it all the time. In one GS, which we loved, the boys explained that they were really relieved when someone else asked, especially 'if I wasn't really listening at the time'. At the remaining school, a sixth form pupil replied with a sneer and said 'I don't think it ever happens that someone hasn't understood. It has certainly never happened to me.' OH and I looked at each other in disbelief. We didn't like the school anyway, but that was the final factor which decided us against it.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now