Dartford appeals

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
kazoco

Dartford appeals

Post by kazoco »

My daughter got VR 134, NVR 140, M 106. The head teacher appealed unsucessfully is it worth pursuing this as she failed the 3rd paper by 9 marks. Her other marks were good would Grammer schools even consider her on appeal? :cry:
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

It's difficult to say. It depends on the strength of the case you can put forward on the one hand (read the Q&As, section B10-11), and the local success rate for appeals on the other.

Nationally around one-third of appeals succeed. The last available figures show quite a good success rate for Kent secondary schools, 47.2%. However, this includes all secondary school appeals. The actual figure for grammar school appeals could be lower.

The best thing to do is to talk it through with the current school. After all, if you do go to appeal, you'll need their support.
Etienne
kazoco

Post by kazoco »

Thanks for the reply.

I've spoken to the head teacher of our current school who doesn't think there is anything more she can do and I know that my daughters maths result is really a good reflection of her ability at the moment. What annoys is that she has good ability in other subjects (NVR VR results) but Grammar schools don't see the whole child and the potential.

The school she has been offered is under achieving whilst her 2nd choice was a tech collage which has a very good reputation but over subscribed. What i don't understand is that someone who fails the 11+ but not miserably will be given a school which has all the worst qualities that a parent dreads, where is the matching of the childs ability where they can develop and learn in a suitable environment!
kazoco

Post by kazoco »

One other question!

In Kent now all children receive only one offer of a school do you think that the appeal system is not going to work because you can appeal but if no one has school offers to turn down (as in previous years with multiple school offers) then there are no places available to offer parents who go through the appeal process even if they are sucessful.

I will appeal, I'll do anything even if it means home education and then moving, but have the LEA thought about how to resolve disputes over school places with this new system?

Post by Guest »

kazoco wrote:Thanks for the reply.

I've spoken to the head teacher of our current school who doesn't think there is anything more she can do and I know that my daughters maths result is really a good reflection of her ability at the moment. What annoys is that she has good ability in other subjects (NVR VR results) but Grammar schools don't see the whole child and the potential.

The school she has been offered is under achieving whilst her 2nd choice was a tech collage which has a very good reputation but over subscribed. What i don't understand is that someone who fails the 11+ but not miserably will be given a school which has all the worst qualities that a parent dreads, where is the matching of the childs ability where they can develop and learn in a suitable environment!

I sypathise with you as I know exactly the place you are talking about - The tech college you mention didn't even occur to us until it was too late. Our son is now facing being put into a School I KNOW he will be unhappy in, in an environment he'll find difficult.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

kazoco wrote:What i don't understand is that someone who fails the 11+ but not miserably will be given a school which has all the worst qualities that a parent dreads, where is the matching of the childs ability where they can develop and learn in a suitable environment!
Wish I had an answer for you. The problem is parents don't really have a choice - what they have the right to express a preference.
kazoco wrote:In Kent now all children receive only one offer of a school do you think that the appeal system is not going to work because you can appeal but if no one has school offers to turn down (as in previous years with multiple school offers) then there are no places available to offer parents who go through the appeal process even if they are sucessful.
If there are no places available, then the appeal panel, which is completely independent of the LEA and the school, takes a decision on the "balance of prejudice". See section C of the Q&As.
Etienne
kazoco

Post by kazoco »

Dear Guest

Good luck with getting a suitable school for your son. I don't know what the future holds for any of us parents or our children but this is an awful situation to be in.

We chose to move to Dartford 5 years ago because of the Grammar choices but also for the Tech. We didn't know at the time how our daughter might progress but wanted good choices for her. We live within walking distance of the Tech and never thought that if she didn't suceed for Grammar we would be sent miles away to a poor underachieving school whilst others who live further away have got the tech.

I still don't know what to do but have promised she won't go to the school allocated her!
kazoco

Post by kazoco »

found out today she has been offered a place in a fantastic independant school. Know we are so very very lucky and wish everyone else the luck we were fortunate enough to get.
Bo Peep

Post by Bo Peep »

What a relief for you Kazoco. I am pleased for you and your daughter - may she be very happy.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now