Skinners, here we come!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Blue Peter

Skinners, here we come!

Post by Blue Peter »

Well the long slog is finally over - they've left primary school - my DS1 yesterday - and are on their way to secondary school. It;s really sad that that stage of their life is over but exciting (but for us more than them, daunting ) that they're on their way to the next stage in their education. Sorry - but I'm just feeling maudlin as all my clan is out and I've just been going through the huge plastic bag that DS brought home yesterday full of all the old primary school stuff! Might get to know some of you over the next few years at Skinners. Have a good holiday! .... Now on to DS2!!! Cheers, Blue Peter.
mother night

Re: Skinners, here we come!

Post by mother night »

I Know what you mean BP. I was not too affected by all the leaving events yesterday (did try to brace myself), DD was weepy but excited. Today though it does feel a little strange and I do feel the march of time- making me feel old too which doesn't help! My DD will be accross the road at TWGGS but I believe they have discos with the Skinners boys,(can't say that OH is too happy about this...), so you never know, we might meet!

MN
doodles

Post by doodles »

We are off to the uniform shop today for our appointment and I am really excited! :oops: DS1 is still in bed oblivious to his mother's growing excitement :lol:
doodles

Post by doodles »

Oh boy, do I now have to sew labels onto everything!
Blue Peter

Post by Blue Peter »

No doodles! Just get a Laundry pen!! As recommended by female teacher who gave us those Top Tips. Any other tips re: uniform?
kentsussexborder

Post by kentsussexborder »

We don't have our appointment until the end of August - in the vain hope that DS might suddenly have a growth spurt!

I ditto the laundry pen - no sewing on labels here.

Does anyone know if the 'jean style' black school trousers from Next are deemed suitable for Skinners? They're about the only ones which don't make DS look like he's wearing clown trousers... even the slim fit, flat fronted trousers are too big for him, if you buy them long enough to cover his ankles!
Blue Peter

Post by Blue Peter »

Hi, a friend, who's son goes to Skinners told me that M&S trousers are fine. My son is also v. slim and they're really good as they have an adjustable waistband.
chicko-mum

Post by chicko-mum »

Doodles posted a website for school uniform for tall slim DCs (although they cover all shapes and sizes) on this thread. I found it v helpful
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 0&start=30
doodles

Post by doodles »

No real tips about the uniform trip. The lady serving was really nice and just looked at DS and chose the right sizes for him - that's experience for you. Did buy the black rucksack that they sold and also the black fleece/wet jacket - weren't overly expensive and thought it would save an argument later on with DS about what was "allowed". When we are less "new" to the whole thing that sort of thing will be easier.

Must say that when he tried it all on together I almost cried - That's My Boy.
doodles

Post by doodles »

Another question for anybody who can help - sorry about all this but I am increasingly a nervous wreck and don't want to get it wrong!

What do they take their games / pe kit into school in? And where do they leave it? Do they have lockers?

Have bought rucksack for books but he can't carry two - can he? Is it just a normal sports holdall?

Sorry for all these questions but we just purchased regulation book and kit backs at old school - problem solved!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now