Academy status for Bexley Grammars

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

dani*

Academy status for Bexley Grammars

Post by dani* »

Views on Academy status for Bexley Grammars anyone?

Seems that quite a few Bexley schools are on the list, whether it will really happen is another issue. The ones I can remember are Beths, Chis & Sid and Bexley GS.

Here is the link if anyone wants to have a look http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/10413492.stm (hope it works)
bromley mum

Re: Academy status for Bexley Grammars

Post by bromley mum »

Where is Tracy when you need her? :D
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

LOL Bromley Mum, I currently have 2 jobs and have been working my fingers to the bone! :lol:

Sorry, I don't know anything about academy status at BGS, and as a parent, wouldn't we be asked/informed? Will see if I can get some info.
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

Tracy - glad to hear you've been keeping busy!

I imagine parents would be told if BGS had registered an interest - certainly at my kids' school parents have been kept informed. As far as I can see, the key benefit is that academies receive the local authority central spend equivalent grant direct, rather than this being spent (or not!) on their behalf by local authorities.
dani*

Post by dani* »

The News Shopper seems to confirm that BGS, Beths and Erith school have decided to apply. Seven others (not named) would also have indicated that they are interested in opting out of Bexley Council Control and becoming academies. I would assume the others are the schools listed in the BBC document.

I wonder if this would have an impact on the selection procedure.
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

Well we still haven't been told anything.
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

Tracy - that's not very good. At Beths, parents' views were canvassed early on and we have been kept up to date at every stage in the process. The front page of today's school newsletter offers reassurance, explains what has happened so far and what will happen next. If I had a child at BG I'd be asking why parents hadn't been treated the same!
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

Hi BM2, no it's not good news, but I've had other things on my mind so haven't done anything really to try to find out. Never mind, I'm going to try to meet up with someone 'who might know something' during the hols.
Bex mum

Post by Bex mum »

Hi ,
My DS is starting BGS in Sept and I had a letter sent home about it (it was with some other paperwork). The gist of it is that it will give the school more freedom within the curriculum and will be able to collect funding directly from the DFE. The school will not be changing its name and will remain selective. There is a meeting scheduled for 9th September at 6.30.

My DD is already at the school but did not bring a letter home, which ties in with what Tracy has said!

I am happy to type the main points out if you would like to see them (but it may take a while).
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

Is the meeting for all parents?
It's not good that just incoming parents have been told, what about the exisiting ones?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now