What a way to start the holidays!!!!

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Midget Man

What a way to start the holidays!!!!

Post by Midget Man »

Went along to watch Midget play in a cricket match then the adult's playing in a victorian day match with traditional dress and rules etc etc. We took along a picnic and all were having a great time, but then disaster struck, the most high pitched screams could be heard, from none other than my daughter :shock: :shock: Raced over and the elbow really should not have looked the way it did. The screaming stopped all play until an ambulance arrived(finally :x ) and in hospital we stayed till 9.30 yesterday evening. She has dislocated her elbow and is now wearing a full arm cast which probably weighs more than her :lol:

So, no running about, no going in the rain, no nothing really so we won't be doing much during these holidays :? :lol:

Anyone else ever have a summer holiday start so well?!
pheasantchick

Re: What a way to start the holidays!!!!

Post by pheasantchick »

Poor you! I can sympathise. My son gained broken wrist a year ago at Easter. He had a wrist in a cast for four weeks and then wasn't allowed to do any sport for a further month. Thats no fun for a football-loving, sport mad boy!
doodles

Post by doodles »

Poor you and poor DD - really feel for you. I can truly sympathise - DS1 broke his arm in March 09 and it was so bad he spent 7 weeks in plaster and didn't do sport until September. A completely dire situation for a little boy who had never been "off games" in his life.
Amber

Post by Amber »

I can trump you, unfortunately. DD broke both of her wrists simultaneously a couple of years ago; then last year she needed major surgery on her arm after breaking 2 bones - at the same time as DS2 broke his elbow (in a different incident). I really thought the social services would be after us, especially when I confessed to not being with DS2 (then 7) when the accident occurred (my kids are a bit free-range) but as I type this I still have custody of all 3. I issue warnings to all friends who let their children play here but so far only one has needed surgery post-visit, after falling out of a tree. DD had more surgery to remove the metalwork at Easter and we now live on a wing and a prayer every time she goes outside.
doodles

Post by doodles »

:shock: :shock: :shock:
Amber

Post by Amber »

doodles wrote::shock: :shock: :shock:
Not sure how to take that, Doodles!

DD is apparently hypermobile, which makes her more prone to breakages. (Dr Herman might put me right on this). It has nothing to do with clumsiness or inexhaustable energy; nor yet bad parenting or a dangerous environment. Honest.
doodles

Post by doodles »

Sorry, just don't know how you coped - I found one plaster cast problematic enough!!!! Think the worst bit was when they cut it off and an ant crawled out - he had been playing in the garden that morning and it had obviously crawled in but I am not sure that the plaster room believed me!
Amber

Post by Amber »

Well it was no picnic; but in the big scheme of things, compared with what many parents of disabled or chronically sick children go through day in day out - well, I guess it was a picnic really.
Midget Man

Post by Midget Man »

That's alot of breaks you've had to deal with Amber :shock: This was the first out of all 3 of my children and it was just the noise of your child screaming that I found terrible. Seeing her elbow in the wrong place didn't bother me half as much, but all is good now and we've all been signing her plaster so she's happy :D
Midget Man

Post by Midget Man »

doodles wrote:Poor you and poor DD - really feel for you. I can truly sympathise - DS1 broke his arm in March 09 and it was so bad he spent 7 weeks in plaster and didn't do sport until September. A completely dire situation for a little boy who had never been "off games" in his life.
Oh no, that must have been awful for your DS1. I dread to think how Midget would feel not doing his sport's of it happened to him. Hopefully your DS1 has been accident free since?x