Equipment, kit needed for CRGS

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

dutchy005

Equipment, kit needed for CRGS

Post by dutchy005 »

We missed the new parents' evening and on the induction day our DS was given an incomplete pack. We realised pretty quickly that we didn't have a uniform list and managed to get one before the end of term. We now feel we are missing something: does he need a memory stick or dictionary or calculator or hymn book or anything else. We have tried to contact school but there doesn't seem to be anyone there at the moment. We don't want him to turn up on day 1 without everything he needs but we don't want to buy things and discover they are not the correct versions. Any help with this would be most appreciated.
First-timer

Re: Equipment, kit needed for CRGS

Post by First-timer »

No, nothing like that was mentioned. They will have games on the first day so make sure you send DS with his kit. Some boys were fitted for gum shields on induction day and I presume they will be distributed in school.
KB

Post by KB »

Its worth them having a calculator and a memory stick and (small) english & French dictionary but not required items - just useful.
Wouldn't spend too much on a calculator as it will no doubt go astray:)
THey do sometimes do work on computers at school which can be emailed home/saved to an area of the school server that they can access from home but I also encourage my DS to copy onto his stick. Again only a cheap one & they can manage without perfectly well.
THe mouth guard is a big deal though as they go back on Friday which is year 7 games day & its rugby term. They are not allowed to play rugby without a gum shield. So if you want to get a professionally fitted one you would need to see your dentist. It sprobably too late to get it delivered for thge start if term so would get a boil to fit one from sports shop in the interim even if you intend to do anything else in the medium term.
A level results are out on 19th August (just realised thats only 2 weeks so now I'm feeling slightly sick :) so there should be office staff in that week (wouldn't call on the Wednesday or THursday though!) and the week after. Otherwise drop them an email & I'm sure they will get back to you. The begining of the week they go back is staff training so the office will certainly be open then (although it sobviously short notice by that point).
Def don't need hymn book & cant hink of anything that has to be a 'particular' version except for sports & school uniform.
Would advise getting a spare tie as they can easily go missing.
Do ask anything else you thinhk of & I'll let you know if I think of anything else!
And I just did! Locker keys - I think the pack would have included a letter to return with payment (used to be £5) of deposit - possibly sports insurance (but that may only have been at previous school) and voluntary donation to school fund & membership of CRGSA (parent's association). The locker key is probbaly the only one you maybe want to get sorted before the first day - although many boys dont use them in practice.
Do you know who your DS' form tutor will be? Whoever iti s I am sure they will help out if there are any difficulties - try to encourage DS to ask though! They will have the morning in form room( assuming previous routine) so plenty of time to get everything sorted out. They also go to lunch early for the first week to avoid the rush. If buying lunch try to avoid anything bigger than a £5 note.

Oops - information overload I fear.

xx
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

DS says he only needed rucksac, pencil case, money and games kit on the first day last year.

One thing to buy before september is sticky back plastic as the first weekends homework mainly consisted of covering books and if you dont buy before the start of term the shops quickly sell out, as we discovered last year!

DS didn't use dictionaries at school but useful for home, WHs***h currently has all foreign language dictionaries on offer - including latin. We also found small memory stick very useful.
First-timer

Post by First-timer »

Just remembered, the pack asks that boys have their own earphones for keyboard and IT use. Not got these yet...
KB

Post by KB »

Earphones is a new one.
Heven't heard anything so assume they are bringing it in for new year 7s rather than older boys. Def more hygenic though :)
dutchy005

Post by dutchy005 »

Many thanks for all the feedback, it really helps a lot.

One thing that might help other parents is some info we received from a year 9 parent about bags. We were going to buy a waterproof rucksack and were advised this is not the way to go for two reasons, one practical one about style. It would appear that some of the books they carry are quite large and the corners can get damaged in back packs, also it can be harder to located specific items as they carry things around the schoo. Also, these are not currently the "cool" thing to have.

We were advised to get a messenger or man-bag style bag for DS. These have one or two compartments and are well-suited for the carrying of books. They are also easy to look in and located items. They are also the current bag of choice.

I didn't expect to have to worry about "cool" just yet but . . . . . . . .

Anyway thought I'd pass this on.
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

The nightmares of fashion!

I would however advise you to think about what else your son will need to carry and how he gets to school before deciding on bags. We had one day a week last year when ds had to carry: 5 subjects worth of books, science overall, Games kit, music bag and a large instrument, all on public transport. We resorted to leaving the football boots, shin pads and science overall in the locker and only bringing home when they were about to walk out on their own! but he still needed a rucksack large enough for the books, music and games kit thus leaving one hand for his instrument and the other to cope with the bus (money / hold on when doesn't get a seat).
dutchy005

Post by dutchy005 »

Thank you for that I can see we need to think this one through!

I thought it would be soooooo easy. At least he's on a yellow bus so I know he doesn't need to hang on and their blurb says they work hard to reunite lost property with its owner. Will need to get everything out and see what it all looks like and how big the bag(s) need to be.
KB

Post by KB »

If Ds is worried about being in the 'trendy' group can you manage to send him with something basic for the first day (wont have many books etc as its a Friday - they spend most of the am in form rooms & most of pm is Games) so you can get something he is happy with at the weekend having seen what others have.
Lots of the boys do have rucksacks for their books & manage fine - its probably better for their backs as the weight is distributed better - but try to get one with a few pockets for keeping smaller items separate & with a sport or other 'young' logo.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now