Advice from Patricia please!

Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

stressedparent

Advice from Patricia please!

Post by stressedparent »

Hi patricia,
could you please shed some light on the VR papers by Premium series ? They are a total of 8 papers in 2 packs. My daughter seems to struggle to finish them within the 50 mins limit ,but she still scores well above 90%. It takes her about 58 mins on average. She had no problems with the NFER papers as she always finished with time to spare. These papers include all the 21 types as identified by IPS and I think they are as hard as Walsh's papers !!!!!!!. I just want to know if you have used these papers before and wether you would recommend them to your students.

Many thanks :?: :?: :?: :(
stressedparent
patricia

Re: Advice from Patricia please!

Post by patricia »

My copies of this series do not contain the full compliment of 21 types, they also include some other irrelevant types.

They are therefore not recommended for the GL Assessment/Nfer tests.

Is it from this series you found that bracket maths question posted on the other thread?

Patricia
stressedparent

Post by stressedparent »

Hi Patricia,
yes that is correct the question was from pack A paper 1.These papers were first puplished in 2005. I wonder How old are your copies? The new copies all contain the 21 types by GL assesment. Correct me if I am wrong please.

Rgds
stressedparent
patricia

Post by patricia »

My copies go back to 2005, they were withdrawn from this site due to the large number of errors, they did not contain the full 21. Perhaps the matter has been rectified, will investigate.

Patricia
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

I would be interested to know what the irrelevant types were Patricia.. Although NfEr set the Glos papers they do put in some types that are not of the 21. Capers tells us they come up on the second harder VR paper and for the past 2 years we have not had 'find the 4 letter word' type questions.
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Tolstoy

If the papers are set by Gl assessment in multiple choice form they will be 15 or 21 types. It is not uncommon for areas that use 2 verbal reasoning tests for one type not to come up, the type omitted tends to vary each year, therefore unusual to be the hidden 4 letter word 2 years running. Are they recycling papers?

I would be interested to know what these "other" types are?

The second paper seems to have a different answer sheet, is it still Gl Assessment/Nfer ? Are they recycling old tests that are not of the 21 stable? Is it fact that other types appear or is it a child that "thinks" something was different. Even now in Bucks some parents/tutors "think" that other types appear and its an absolute myth.

The only way to find out is for parents each year to prime their children of the types in order to collate the bigger picture.

Patricia
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

I am trying to use my blackberry Patricia hence abrupt sorry. Will switch on my comp tomorrow and p.m you if that is okay?
patricia

Post by patricia »

Tolstoy wrote: and p.m you if that is okay?
Look forward to hearing from you.

Patricia
whathappened

Post by whathappened »

Hi Patricia, Hope you dont mind me asking advise but i do not have a tutor (too late getting to grips with all this)My dd is sitting nonsuch/wallington in Sept and i have been doing tests for the last few months.I have used the letts 4 papers and the bond 4 but do not know what to do next.I have read on here that the bond assessment papers are suitable but feel a bit out of my depth.I am currently trying to focus on dds weak areas but would like to do some more tests to check for improvement.Thank you so much.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now