maths

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

jr1

maths

Post by jr1 »

Hi my dd earned 5c her school in maths test. Is it good enough to pass a maths test?
Bewildered

Re: maths

Post by Bewildered »

Depends upon the level of the test she will sit. If it is similar to KS2 then her result is a good indicator for a good outcome at the test. Of course if it is at a higher level then some extra work would be the ideal way to go.
Either way a little extra practise would be sensible. :D
fm

Post by fm »

I don't believe there is a strong correlation between national curriculum levels and how children do in 11 plus tests. They are fairly different styles of test, for a start. My youngest was very hit and miss with NC tests and I am fairly certain wasn't on more than 5c at this stage but managed to score 48/50 in an NFER-written maths test because she was much better at this style of test. Meanwhile some of my pupils who were more consistent with Sats tests scored around the 43 mark.

I would agree with Bewildered, however. Ensure she is well versed in the type of test she is sitting by doing lots of practice and take the 5C as encouragement that she may pass if she is well-prepared.
jr1

Post by jr1 »

Thanks for your advice guys. :D
frustrated

Post by frustrated »

Ensure she is well versed in the type of test she is sitting by doing lots of practice and take the 5C as encouragement that she may pass if she is well-prepared.
I don't believe there is a strong correlation between national curriculum levels and how children do in 11 plus tests
Bear in mind that a lot of questions in the test may not have been covered yet at school, which is why, if you are tutoring your child you need to be as familiar as you can with the types of questions that she may face.

I don't believe that SATS results have any bearing as to an indication of whether or not a child will pass the 11+, as the SATS are based on what is learnt in the curriculumn, and the 11+ is different. There are many children who pass the test and go into a grammar school with only one level 5 achieved at the end of year 6.

The CATS tests at the end of year 5 are (according to our school) a better indicator as to whether or not the child is likely to pass, and even then it isn't always accurate.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now