Intensive course

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
clarexharris

Intensive course

Post by clarexharris »

Hi, I know that it is a bit late in the day but i an looking for an 11+ intensive course for the last week of August , would be grateful for any suggestions . THank you
patricia

Re: Intensive course

Post by patricia »

Dear Clarexharris

If you find a suitable course, please ensure the tutors understand the Bucks system fully, ie 21 types of questions in multiple choice format.

I know of one intensive course, which I would never recommend, I have seen the contents of their teachings, they cover 39 types of questions and seem to think that the types change each year. Disgraceful...

Have you thought of an intensive course with you teaching your child

Patricia
clarexharris

Post by clarexharris »

Hi Patricia
THank you for yur help. I am working with my son everday at the moment but i suppose i am just panicing a bit as he does not seem very consistent varying from 79% to 98%. I originally planned on the end of Oct as the exam date but now find out that it will be in Sept as they will sit it at the school- i will just keep going and hope that it will be enough. Can you give any advice on the passmark this year? i feel that he should consistently be hitting 90 to feel confident, is this about right?
Thanks
fleximum

Post by fleximum »

Patricia, could you give a little more clue as to the course you are referring to? I am wondering if it was the one my child attended - I certainly think I have acheived far more on my own than she learned on the course
fleximum

Post by fleximum »

as I understand it Clare the pass mark is always the same, 121, and that this is standardised each year against the cohort sitting the test.

I am not sure about out of area candidates but in-Bucks children sit 2 tests - this year I think Sept 30 and Oct 6th and they only need to pass one of them.

TBH, I think you are better off breathing deeply and keeping on doing what you are doing and getting question type specific advice from the forum EG have you noticed if specific types of questions are giving him trouble? Is it carelessness that lets him down? Vocabulary maybe?

You could end up spending a lot of mney for nothing more than you have done and perhaps worse! One course I found cost £925 for what I reckon is about 30 hours tuition plus materials and homework (ie they were included in the price) !! And this was not one-on-one, they were going to be at least 8 others in the class.
clarexharris

Post by clarexharris »

Working really hard on vocab at the moment as this seems to be a weakness- has anyone got any advice of the number of words which is realistic to learn in a day? - i would like to do 20 but not sure if that is over ambitious - no point if they will not remember them-think probably 10 a day may be retained better- does anyone have any experience of this?
Thank you
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now