Marmalade and Driving

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

hermanmunster

Marmalade and Driving

Post by hermanmunster »

Trying to sort insurance for DS to be able to practice in my car when he starts to learn. Current insurance is £300 - cheapest quote so far is £1400...

Has anyone use provisional marmalade or collingwood?? These seem to work by a stand alone policy for the child which doesn't affect the parents NCB etc. Does this work?

Costs about £1000 a year so I won't be mega bucks better off but quite like the idea of my no claims staying intact :roll:

Would be interested in comments / experience (what did it cost you) / other bright ideas.......
Marylou

Re: Marmalade and Driving

Post by Marylou »

We're with Direct Line and they've quoted us an extra payment of around £750 for DD for a mini Merc hatchback, which I thought was quite steep but DH thought was reasonable - now I know why! :shock: I knew girls get a better deal but didn't think it was that much. I suppose the only consolation is knowing that it can only come down... :roll:
Marylou
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

I took the precaution of driving an automatic, unfortunately no good for learning to drive in
:wink:

those quotes don;t sound too bad mr yoyo was looking to change to a 2 year old Avensis estate (manual) the extra to .add a 17 year old male learner to insurance was £5,600!
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Some of the confused.com quotes were eye watering .... the AA wanted £25,000.

Will try Directline ... the £750 sounds almost civilised - though am noticing about £300 excess for boys ..
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

You should be able to protect your NCD - for an extra payment of course :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

DD's already eyeing cars up and she's got 4 years yet till she can drive :roll:
wonderwoman

Post by wonderwoman »

Boys are hideous - of course I mean to insure as learners :D

I had a quote for only an extra £200 to put DD on my insurance as a named driver for a little clio, I can't remember the company as I was looking for quotes before buying the car, but it was on confused.com. Put male into the search just to see the difference and it was eye-watering. He doesn't drive for another 2 years and will probably be much safer than his older sister.

Was out looking at cars yesterday - they seem awfully small :!:
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

agreed re the car size. I tend to drive tank like estates -trying to get my head round something smaller but I always seem to gravitate to larger cars. I am sure if DS can drive my tank he will be able to drive anything. Interesting that the added insurance things didn't seem to vary with car unless it was greater than insurance group 16 or worth over 20k (some hope).
magwich2

Post by magwich2 »

are these quotes for before or after they have passed their test?
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

the quotes we had were before the test, it goes up after they pass!
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

yes £1000 before passing .... about 3-4k after passing :?