Number of School Choices on the Common Application Form

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
vulcan

Number of School Choices on the Common Application Form

Post by vulcan »

I've been looking at the (Essex) common application form from last year and it appears that there are only four choices for school preferences. Does that mean that I cannot have more than four preferences even if I have a shortlist of more than four schools and even if my DD is sitting more than four exams?

Thanks!
hermanmunster

Re: Number of School Choices on the Common Application Form

Post by hermanmunster »

That's right. Bear in mind that you may get some results before the CAF goes in which may help
vulcan

Post by vulcan »

That was quick, thanks! Unfortunately none of the exams that I want my DD to sit, will take place before the CAF goes in!
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

That is tricky! I presume they are all state grammars? If so then it may be that you have to be a bit more choosy - no point taking and exam for a school that is not on the CAF
First-timer

Post by First-timer »

Last year in Essex the CAF had to be submitted in October, the eleven plus exam was in November (or early December for religious/health reasons) and the results and allocations were sent out in March. Four choices was the maximum. I'm not sure how it works if you are interested in Southend/Redbridge Grammars. Southend have the same eleven plus exam as Central/North Essex but I'm unsure of the application process. From memory, the Southend schools were not included in the booklet that was sent home to Y6 parents in my area. Redbridge has a different exam altogether. If you are also considering independent schools, my understanding is that they are applied to on an individual basis and are irrelevant to the CAF. Which schools are you considering?
vulcan

Post by vulcan »

The schools I am looking at are Chelmsford County High, Southend High School, Henrietta Barnet, and North London Collegiate School.
I understand that for Chelmsford and Southend, it is the same (CSSE) exam while HBS & NLCS have their own exams (NLCS selects through the consortium exam). So herein lies the problem- I have four schools in my shortlist but I want to specify a local state school as well (just in case...). But, since there are only four choices, I will either have to take my chances and not list a local state school or take my chances again and list one of the local state schools in preference to one of the four in my shortlist! Unless of course, if the independent schools need not be listed on the CAF and have to be applied on an individual basis...How should I find this out? Is it the LEA I should contact?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

independents do not need to go on the CAF - they are all separate applications, so NLCS is not on the form

edit: golly these schools are quite a long way from each other :oops: :oops:
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

All state schools must go on the CAF (regardless of which education area they are in) but not independants.

One thing to check is the number of choices parents are allowed in the area of your out of area schools. You cannot put an out of area school at eg 4th choice if parents local to that area only have three choices.
I live in Essex (4 places on CAF) but had a Suffolk school (only 3 places on CAF) as one of my choices, so this was not allowed to be our fourth choice.

Hope this makes sense.
vulcan

Post by vulcan »

@Minesatea: thanks, that's a good point! I shall make sure I check that.

@hermanmunster: yes, these schools are indeed in different directions. The thing is that I am on the verge of buying a house (still renting) and I want to wait till my DD get's into secondary before I do that (as I want to live close to the school). Therefore, I am a bit flexible about the schools. I've been to several schools last year with my DD and we have agreed on this shortlist. I work in Uxbridge so if she gets into HBS or NLCS, it would be best for both of us. If not, and if she's able to get into CCHS or SHSG, I am preparing myself to work from home a couple of days a week, stay in Uxbridge a couple of days in the week and then commute one day a week.
Hope that explains the almost 'antipodal' choices!
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Good luck with it all Vulcan ... just be careful of planning the next 7-8 years round work.

DH and I pondered on schools to fit in with jobs / poss house move / travel etc - by the time we got to entrance exams it was all change......
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now