how independent are your kids?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
supertrex

how independent are your kids?

Post by supertrex »

if your kids are going to boarding house soon, will you unpack his luggages in the dorm for him :mrgreen: or you will just let him handle everything after you leave the school?
hermanmunster

Re: how independent are your kids?

Post by hermanmunster »

not in this situation... but suspect best to follow what everyone else is doing!
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

Is your DC going to boarding Supertrack?

Our first choice is a boarding school for my daughter but she will be starting next year. I feel rather lonely here because there arent many discussions on boarding. Most tend to end up being why boarding so I will be keen to hear how your DC settles too.

Also out of interest what sort of orientation do they do at your DC school? Do they advise against immediate contact when they start to settle them?

I would take Herman's advice too and just follow what everyone is doing. In the school we are interested in they have "big sisters" who will be waiting for them on arrival and they comminicate with them prior to arrival. If your school has that perhaps ask that chid when you arrive what the norm is?
Impossible is Nothing.
dinah

Post by dinah »

I have three who board and the school does have a no contact by phone rule for the first three weeks! I did abide by this going on the advice of the school but I do know that some parents did give phones which they did not declare and so did contact their children. The school's view is that it is the sound of the parent's voice which tends to 'set them off' in the first couple of weeks and that they need time to settle . They can write and email and this seems to be fine . I imagine they are worried about homesickness and as they only go home every three weeks it can seem a long time if parents are contacting every five minutes to find out what's happening. If your child boards during the week and comes home every weekend end it isn't so long to wait if they are having trouble settling in. They also say that soem times children cry on the phone and say everything is horrible but are just off loading and are fine as soon as the phone is put down leaving the parent a gibbering wreck! In my experience boarding staff are highly trained and experienced and it's best to be guided by what they think best if you can hold your nerve.
As far as unpacking goes it depends how much your child does at home . If they are used to organising their own things and changing duvets etc they may want to do it themselves. I always did it when they were younger but not now except with the youngest . If other parents are there doing the same, it's a nice way of meeting them and having a chat.
Waiting_For_Godot

Post by Waiting_For_Godot »

How old is your child? If they are entering boarding school at 13+ then they really should be able to sort out their bedding without mum hovering about. It won't do his image any good!
dinah

Post by dinah »

That's true but if it's their first day parents will all probably be in the room and hanging about so it kind of seems churlish not to help with unpacking. My son is way too old for me to unpack his things per se but sometimes if there is time I do lend a hand.I don't take over - it's just lending a hand . Sometimes I don't hang about and he does it himself. For the first day , however old they are, it's OK to lend a hand and chew the fat with the houseparents and parents of childen your child will be living with.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now