levels in primary

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Tulip

levels in primary

Post by Tulip »

My dd is going to Year 5 in September. At the end of yr4 her levels were Maths 4b,
English 4c and Science 4b. Does anyone know about these levels :?: Are these levels
good?

PLEASE ADVICE :idea:
mitasol

Re: levels in primary

Post by mitasol »

Yes, these levels are fine. You are supposed to progress 3 sub levels in 2 years although we seem to be moving towards 2 sub levels a year.

So your child is on target to get level 5's at the end of year 6.
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

Hi mitasol

Thanks, for answering my question :D .
hdq2907

Post by hdq2907 »

Your daughter has done really well. 4b is the level an average child reaches by the end of year 6. If she make 2 sub levels of progress next year she will achive level 5 in 2 areas which is what you would expect a bright child to achieve by the end of year 6. Just be careful if this is a sat result she may have just scored this result in one test and not be working at this level generally.
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

Hi hdq2907

Please explain me in more detail the following...

Just be careful if this is a sat result she may have just scored this result in one test and not be working at this level generally.

Thanks
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

Tulip wrote:Hi hdq2907

Please explain me in more detail the following...

Just be careful if this is a sat result she may have just scored this result in one test and not be working at this level generally.

Thanks
In year five my dd scored level 5 in english= comprehension and writing sats tests. However her teacher explained that even though she had done brilliantly she was not working consistantly at this level - meaning that somedays she would produce a level 5 essay but on another she would only produce one marked at level 4b. When they are working at a particularly level on a daily basis the teacher will say "your child is a secure level 5"

I think this is what hdq2907 meant :)
katel

Post by katel »

A level 4b should indicate working securely within level 4 - not just a flash in the pan. Which is very good for year 4.
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

Thanks tiredmum and katel.

I understood what you mean.Thanks a lot. Its very useful. :) :D
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now