6 marks out should I appeal?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

bexleymum

Post by bexleymum »

My daughter is devestated. She has worked so hard at school and always gives 101% she is so distraught and upset that I feel I should appeal.

Her Headmaster said that he would support us throughout the appeal, she has always scored very highly in tests so she cannot understand why her test results did not reflect her ability.

During the second test there were extra questions (I think about 25) but no extra time was permitted, she therefore did not take this into consideration (due to nerves) and did not get enough time to finish the paper (she managed to guess some!). She was so upset when she returned home from school that day. :cry:

I have also heard that the test papers are marked by a computirised system, I am considering getting her test papers remarked I'm not sure if anyone has done this but I feel I should do what I can to see why her test results were so low compared to other tests she has taken.

I would be really grateful for some advice.
Tired Mum

Post by Tired Mum »

Bexleymum,

I feel for you. I'm a Bromley mother and my daughter, being out of borough, missed the top 180 by 3 marks. Of course being out of borough I cannot appeal really as I now sit on the waiting list being zillions of miles away.

I am however appealing for other schools in Bromley and would highly recommend that you visit the Appeals section on the main site and the appeals forum. Look out for Etienne, Sally-Ann and Peter. You do not say what your daughter's scores were. Which paper did she miss on? Have you got any other independently assessed scores? Did she sit the Kent test?

Keep posting on this site as the support and honest advice you will get is very useful.

Post by Guest »

Thanks Tired mum - I'm sorry to hear you are going through the same as me!

My daughter did not take the Dartford test as she did not want to travel too far, she did however take the Newstead Woods Test and scored 189 which was too far out but, we expected that as it is a super selective school. Her test results for Bexley were 424 and were deemed selective at 430. I wish I could afford to send her to an independent school. I really don't want her to go to our local school.

Has anyone else heard about having a test remarked manually?
Bo Peep

Post by Bo Peep »

I phoned Kent CC about the HB pencil thing before the papers were marked. Don't know if that's your county but I'm guessing it's similar elsewhere.

They were very helpful and informed me that the scanner software they use is pretty sophisticated and should spot potential problems at the time of marking. The scanner then beeps to alert a human supervisor who then checks the paper themselves. With softer (ie darker) pencils apparently the most likely problem is not that marks won't be read but that erased marks might still show up; this is one of the things the software is programmed to detect.

I was told that if the marks were not as expected our headteacher could also request a manual remark to be absolutely certain.
The above was posted on a thread entitled 're-marking papers' It sounds unlikely that there would have been an error. :cry:

Post by Guest »

Thanks Bo Peep for the information. I guess its not worth asking for a test to be remarked.

Post by Guest »

I really can't decide whether it is worth it or not to be honest. I keep thinking it is probably not worth it and bound to be accurate, but then think what if it is inaccurate and this is all just one big nightmare? :cry:

I also think the head teacher is the one that has to request a re-mark...but I'm not sure if this varies from area to area.
Bo Peep

Post by Bo Peep »

Sorry that was me. I forgot to log in.

Post by Guest »

Hi there..

I know in my area (Wirral) Both Head teacher and parent's can ask for a remark, when head teachers received the result's before parents that was their opportunity to ask for a remark or to do a head teachers appeal, after allocation the burden then falls to the parents.
I have just requested a remark because mistakes although rare do happen; you have nothing to lose and everything to gain.
To apply for a remark in my area I had to submit in writing the child's name, DOB, along with the name of the school they sat the exam at and child's primary school if different. This is then handed or posted to the LEA and has nothing to do with the school.

Hope this helps, at least then you can be certain and not always wondering what if.

Sorry forgot to add all remarking is carried out manually and usually take’s about a week.
Tired Mum

Post by Tired Mum »

Bexley Mum,

I really do empathise with you. My daughter sat Super Selective and got 219 they cut off at 220 this year! As for Bexley she got 487 with the cut off being 490!!

I have spoken to both Bexley Council and KCC. I have been advised that you can apply after 23rd March to those schools with places. I will be applying to a Kent girls grammar school and have been advised that my daughter may be able to take the Kent test then (fingers crossed).

Like you I feel helpless. But you have to do what you feel is right for your child. Would you consider taking the Kent test? Have you found out from the Head if they would support her?
Bexleymum

Post by Bexleymum »

Thank you for all your advice.

I have an appointment tomorrow with the Head whom has said he will support me, however as her marks were six out that is quite alot compared to alot of other parents appealing, but at the end of the day I need to do the best for my child - I can only try, I suppose theres nothing to loose but alot to gain!

Tired Mum - We will consider taking the Kent test however, although a Grammer school would be much more suited for my daughter the travelling does concern me slightly.

I am contemplating whether or not to send her to a local independent school, this is completely out of our budget, so this maybe our only option!

Bo peep & Guest: - I will ask for a re-test, you never know thank you for your advice.

Good luck in your appeal Tired mum, I wish you all the best :D