New Letts Maths Papers C Q19 no question is actually asked!

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Daogroupie

New Letts Maths Papers C Q19 no question is actually asked!

Post by Daogroupie »

In the New Letts Maths Papers that just came out in 2010 Paper C Q19 it says "Here is a patterned tile, and a tile is shown. Then it gives five other tiles A to E but does not ask you a question???? Has nobody else actually done these papers? I am surprised that this has not come up before. We just had to make up a question to complete the paper! There is no errata sheet in the pack even though we just bought them this week from the forum shop. Is nobody else planning to use these papers. I think they are excellent but my dd is finding them much harder than the older ones. But this is good because it is really bring out her multiple areas of weakness!
Sally-Anne

Re: New Letts Maths Papers C Q19 no question is actually ask

Post by Sally-Anne »

Every time I have posted this comment recently there has been a backlash, but here I go again - a glutton for punishment! I have no reason to apologise for Letts - or anyone else for that matter, but no matter who the publisher or author is, there is a margin of error on all new papers. It is generally around 5%.

That may seem incomprehensible to many people but I can assure you that, having proof-read papers myself, it is unbelievably hard to spot every mistake. You do eventually glaze over.

That said, the complete absence of a question seems to be a typesetting problem, and it probably occurred at the very last stage of production. It is still a question of "things becoming invisible" once you have read them over and over again.

I suggest that you contact Letts to ask for the correct question. Please let me know via PM (and on here for the benefit of others) if you get a sensible response from Letts and I will make sure that the secretary is aware of the issue and she can add an erratum to each pack.

Sally-Anne
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Thank you Sally-Anne, most helpful. I am not surprised that there is an error. DAO had an error in one of their 50 questions in their actual exam paper that my dd and 909 others took last November and I am sure that it was proof read by several members of the deparment. It was not picked up until a candidate noticed it in the first exam session! What surprises me is that I was sure that many forum members were beavering away with these papers for some months now so I am amazed that nobody has mentioned it before. I have already emailed Letts and await their reply and will let you know.
chicko-mum

Post by chicko-mum »

Hi Daogroupie
We have that set of papers - standard format - but there is no error in our copy. Must be from a different print run to yours?
The question is: Which picture (tiles A - E) shows the tile when it has been rotated through 180 degrees?
The question is printed on the line after the question tile and above the 5 answer tiles. Is there a gap here on your paper? HTH :D
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

I saw the error a few weeks ago and mearnt to report it to Letts. Mine is simliar to DAOgroupie as it doesnt have a question. I notice yours is standard paper Chickomum, so it looks like its the multiple choice one with the error. Thanks Chicko mum for the question.
Impossible is Nothing.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Yes, Ours is the multiple choice version. We always buy multiple choice because you can use them as if they were standard and we are doing a range of exams, some standard, some multiple choice. Thanks for the question Chickomum. It is not easy to spot that the question is not there because the four options are there and so is the intro to the question. We guessed and made up a question about a 90% turn so we were nearly there. I can quite understand how the error happened, but I would have thought they would have an errata pack out by now. Sherry how long ago did you buy your papers? Is it just you and me doing these papers on the forum! What do you think of them? I think they are harder than the originals. How are your marks comparing between the two sets?
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

Daogroupie, I bought my new Letts papers a while ago when there was a post here about them and that was probably the first batch. I have looked at DD scores and the average is lower on all the three subjects on the new papers. I initially thought the NVR was easy as she had a good score on the first paper but it was probably the easiest we started with. The maths is a tad bit harder as I find it has more tricky question that are two or three step questions. In some cases I have found the question to be a bit staightfoward like 525 divided by 5 whereas the old papers they tend to be wordy but straightforward.
Impossible is Nothing.
chicko-mum

Post by chicko-mum »

So far DD has done one of each maths & English & 2 of the nvr papers (haven't made it as far as these vr yet). I would agree that her marks are slightly lower with these than with NFER and other publishers - although DD feels that the papers are about the same difficulty level as NFER. Initially I put this down to tiredness/being a bit fed up as she started tackling these at the end of last term/start of the holiday :x , but I don't think that's the whole reason. I find some of the NVR questions tricky to get to the answer given and even DH (who has the sort of mind made for NVR :shock:) finds some of them hard/odd.
ermintrude

Post by ermintrude »

DS and I just went through this paper tonight! He found it quite hilarious that there was no question, we tried to work out the question from the answer but neither of us could, so we had a good old chuckle and I gave him an extra point!
Ang's mom

Post by Ang's mom »

When we were doing this paper, my daughter and I were trying to figure out what question could possibly suit the answer. We gave up after a couple of minutes as there wasn't much information to work with :)

I guess it's an error only in the multiple choice set.

My daughter has finished these papers and she found VR toughest of the lot. There were some new words which baffled her. She found the Maths and NVR comparitively easier.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now