Another Kent Appeal - Advice appreciated

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

PaulR

Another Kent Appeal - Advice appreciated

Post by PaulR »

Preparing an appeal letter, and would appreciate any help with regards to format and content of letter....

His results were V 136 NV 119 M 118

We are appealing to Wilmington and possibly Gravesend Grammar schools.

He has spent his entire Infant and Primary school life at a small private school, and his entire class have passed and in the Grammar school of their choice expect for my son. The school he went too has supplied past pupils to both Grammar schools for many years with success....

I have been told to write a letter accompanying a form that is supplied. Extenuating circumstances are that at the age of 7/8 his Mum and I sadly split up which caused him some distress at the time, although now we are on great terms and he suffers no adverse distress. He has a very stable and loving family life, and is a very happy child. During the last year he also suffered a small amount of bullying which shattered his confidence for a period of time as the bullying was mostly verbal/mental (being told he was stupid etc by the brightest child in the class)

We think he would suit the Grammar system due to his past schooling and that he certainly has the capability, his SATS and other tests that the Head is willing to provide prove this.

Based on this Info - Do we stand a chance? Is there anything else that might help? Is anything above detrimental if mentioned? Should we word this in a similar way to which I've written this post?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Personally I wouldn't mention the separation in the written submission - it was two or three years ago, and your son seems very happy. Mention it very briefly at the hearing - the best technique with a weak point is to underplay it (e.g. "I don't want to make an issue of it").

"He would suit the Grammar system due to his past schooling" sounds as if you think he has an entitlement - a bit risky! (Just my view)

The bullying could be worth a mention, especially if you can get some written evidence from the school to back it up.

For the format I suggest you use bullet points and adapt the Letter of Appeal for Mary (see Q&As, section E12). You may need to add reasons for the particular school - it depends whether Kent follows the Bucks or the Lincs model (see Q&As, section E27).

Good luck
Etienne
PaulR

Post by PaulR »

Etienne wrote:Personally I wouldn't mention the separation in the written submission - it was two or three years ago, and your son seems very happy. Mention it very briefly at the hearing - the best technique with a weak point is to underplay it (e.g. "I don't want to make an issue of it").

"He would suit the Grammar system due to his past schooling" sounds as if you think he has an entitlement - a bit risky! (Just my view)

The bullying could be worth a mention, especially if you can get some written evidence from the school to back it up.

For the format I suggest you use bullet points and adapt the Letter of Appeal for Mary (see Q&As, section E12). You may need to add reasons for the particular school - it depends whether Kent follows the Bucks or the Lincs model (see Q&As, section E27).

Good luck

Thanks Etienne.

When I said about suiting Grammar school due to past schooling, what I was trying to do is answer the question of 'Why would the child suit Grammar more than Comprehensive' which I notice the panel might ask (I just didn't put it across very well) - In this case the answer would be that for the last 5 years the school have geared them all towards the Grammar system, they have been set an hour homework every night for the last 3 years, and it's being stepped up until the end of term as every other child in his class have got the Grammar schools of their choice. He has been in this environment for a long time and would flourish if this continued.

Do you think this would be a satisfactory answer? Of coarse I do not feel he has an entitlement, but does the school he has attended so far make a difference in anyway??
Jed

Post by Jed »

Paul

I would be inclined to stay off this argument altogether. Although you may be right that your son would flourish in a grammar, you need to step back and see that the reasons you are putting forward could be interpreted in completely the opposite way to what you intend. I.e. "This boy has had all the advantages of meticulous preparation, small classes, intensive homework, etc. All the other children passed but he still didn't. Other children in average state primaries pass without any of these advantages. Therefore this boy really isn't suited to grammar."

Just playing the devil's advocate here, but try to imagine it from the panel's point of view. Concentrate on the academic evidence of your son (not the school), and the possible effects of the bullying.

Jed
teresa

Post by teresa »

I think you have got to be very careful about how your son has been geered up for grammar ,with all his class passing, doing extra homework,because you are going to make it seem that his class has been tutored just to pass the exam ,whereas in some schools ,like the one my children went to you would be lucky to get two through.
So if there was a child from my sons school who had the same scores as your son ,i think my son would stand a better chance having not been tutored on your arguaments.
I think your better off concentrating on your sons achievements and the comments of you sons teacher,and headteacher on his ability.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear PaulR

I think you could be on dangerous ground here ......

I agree with Jed and Teresa. Concentrate on the academic evidence relating to your son (not on his school) - that is what is needed to demonstrate his suitability for grammar school.

Regards
Etienne
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now