Morpurgo book set

11 Plus English - Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

First-timer

Morpurgo book set

Post by First-timer »

Just wanted to give other parents a heads-up about a great bargain I've found. Sixteen Michael Morpurgo books for £16.99 (plus p&P if total order is under £25).
Titles include:
Cool!
Born to Run
The Amazing Story of Adolphus Tips
The Butterfly Lion
Toro! Toro!
Kensuke's Kingdom
King of the Cloud Forests
Long Way Home
Dear Olly
The Wreck of Zanzibar
Escape from Shangri-La
Mr Nobody's Eyes
Why the Whales Came
Kaspur - Prince of Cats
Private Peaceful
War Horse

I have ordered mine from The Book People's website. http://www.thebookpeople.co.uk I hope I don't fall foul of advertising rules - I'm sure I've seen similar postings re book bargains.
rosered100

Re: Morpurgo book set

Post by rosered100 »

Brilliant thanks. DS2 is just getting to that sort of book & his birthday is coming up.

BTW - Free delivery code is ZD533 (might have to use caps lock not sure)

Also just seen a set of 15!!! Roman Mysteries books for £9.99. That was the sort of deal that we used to fill party bags for DS1 back when I was insane enough to allow birthday parties.
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

Thanks I am going to order our set too as I have a recent convert who didnt even want to read but now she is hooked to Morpugo.
Impossible is Nothing.
zvrk

Post by zvrk »

Favoured 1

Post by Favoured 1 »

Thanks First-timer and Rosered 100 :D . I've just ordered a box set as well. The free delivery code worked!
um

Post by um »

Thanks also - I have used the free delivery code and got Milly Molly Mandy - set of 4 for £5 as well as the Morpurgo. We have quite a few of the Morpurgo set already but some we don't have and I am going to spread the others out as presents!
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

For the Morpurgo fans who have read 'The best Christmas present in the world', there is a lovely film about the truce on Xmas eve and day in 1914. It is Joyeux Noel [DVD] Starring Gary Lewis, Diane Kruger, Daniel Bruhl, and Benno Furmann (DVD - 2006)
Ok, purists would say that there are some historical blunders (for example, there were not yet any Scottish recruits on the Front in Dec 1914 as they were still getting trained)... see the comments on amazon for more examples...
But this is really a deeply moving and uplifting piece. Just be aware of the classification 12 :wink: (my 9 years old DS is OK with it, as we have read a lot about WWI since the 11th of November).

Moreover, this film is quite good for secondary school children learning French or German as there is a cast of Scottish, German and French actors, all speaking their own language (don't worry, there are subtitles in English). :wink:
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

JaneEyre wrote: classification 12 :wink: (my 9 years old DS is OK with it, as we have read a lot about WWI since the 11th of November).
Forgot to mention that he did not watch some war scene and a sex one... so some parental guidance absolutely required! :wink:
greenvallley

Post by greenvallley »

I just went on the book people website and that book set has sold out! Website advises to check in early 2011.Would have made a lovely present...
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

rosered100 wrote:
BTW - Free delivery code is ZD533 (might have to use caps lock not sure)
My DS wishes to buy the book about science experiments but I can't find the box where to enter the free delivery code (cruel lack of sleep these days :roll:) . Does anybody has a clue about that?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now