Logistics for Tests - Watch? Pens? Pencils?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
happychap

Logistics for Tests - Watch? Pens? Pencils?

Post by happychap »

HI,

This might sound like a daft question, but DD doesn't have a watch, so thinking of buying one so she is used to checking the time on it. Do the kids mostly go by the clock in the room?

Do they need to take any pens or pencils? Or are they supplied?

Just starting to think of the nitty gritty!

Thanks
pixiequeen

Re: Logistics for Tests - Watch? Pens? Pencils?

Post by pixiequeen »

'Fraid I can't answer your questions, happychap, I just want to add some of my own :D

What food are they supposed to take as a snack? What did everyone else's DC actually take?!!

My friend's DD has been told by her tutor that she needs a rectangular pencil for when she does the test :shock: Has anyone else been told this? Or used one? Not even sure where to buy one.

Re: the watch - there is a post from Patricia somewhere on this forum that definitely says DC should wear an analogue watch (digital ones apparently not allowed) as rooms don't always have a clock and they don't always either work or show the correct time. Watch also helps with time based reading information questions.

Any info. you old hands can give us much appreciated.

Pixiequeen
malvern

Post by malvern »

Again, no answers I'm afraid - another query to add to those above.

When do we know what the arrangements are? Do we receive a letter detailing times, locations, drop offs etc or do we have to wait for something on the website?

Malvern
muminTewkes

Post by muminTewkes »

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh !!!have no idea...but we did buy ds an analogue watch-he hasnt "used"it for codes though-just the time!lol!
cairo

Post by cairo »

My DS1 took the test at Tommies last year.

I bought him an analogue watch to wear on the day, following the same advice on this site that you've read re analogues being better than digital. (Not really sure why...?) Anyhow, I then stressed about the watch battery running out on the day and whether it was set to the right time etc. :roll: DS1 says there was a clock in the room he was in and the invigilator gave them time warnings (10 mins and 1 min to go, I think) so in the event he didn't look at his watch at all!

You definitely shouldn't send the children with pens, as the papers are marked by a computer which reads pencil marks apparently.

Tommies sent us a letter of instructions a couple of weeks before the test and the boys were told not to bring their own pencils, as they would be provided. I seem to remember those sitting at Pate's did have to bring them though. I'm sure it'll all be laid out in the letter you get. Do allow plenty of time to get to the venue and park on the day, as there will be lots of people trying to do the same thing.

As for a snack, I sent my boy with a banana and a small chocolate bar in an attempt to give him an energy boost mid-way.

No idea what a rectangular pencil is! I've seen triangular ones to help children with their grip when they first start to write.....but rectangular? - not a clue. I'm sure it's not obligatory anyway.

Good luck to all of you with DCs sitting the test shortly. I know it's a really stressful time.
pixiequeen

Post by pixiequeen »

Thank you Cairo. I'm glad you don't know what a rectangular pencil is either. :D
happychap

Post by happychap »

Cairo - thanks! That is a useful insight.

With regard to receiving a letter. The form only has to be in a week before the tests, so they won't have much time to write to everyone with the details!

I shall be sorting out an analogue watch in advance!
cairo

Post by cairo »

Oh yes, the test is earlier this year isn't it? So you reckon there'll be no time to send out letters beforehand? There must be some form of communication with parents though, as (at least last year) the children were all issued with a card with a number printed on it that they had to bring along on the day.

I expect you will get a letter. If it was all done electronically, that would disadvantage those who don't have access to a computer.
muminTewkes

Post by muminTewkes »

Thanks cairo... :D
Personally Im semding ds's letter by hand to Shire Hall next Friday(sitting at STRS)with an armed guard and demanding a reciept :wink: .....streeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeessss
Milla

Post by Milla »

yes, there was more time last year, and we were written to by Tommy's who included an everso useful (not) example paper featuring about 9 questions. Pitiful really. Blimey, if read this site!
Mine didn't wear a watch - he would just fiddle with it, so didn't bother with it and drop it and be irritating.
It would be analogue over digital I'd assume in case the digital bleeped and annoyed people or in case it had a calculator attached???
Yes, Tommy's provide pencils, Pate's didn't when DS1 sat his test there, and Pate's did provide a small card you had to take in (the stress!! the number of times it nearly got lost) whereas at Tommy's they just deal with you. Seemed more low key at Tommy's which I was pleased about. Gave my boys bananas (even though the mank potential makes me shudder) and a vaguely wholesome biscuit - ie not swamped in chocolate - and either a little innocent-type drink of a water bottle).
Someone had said that one of the schools was quite cold, so might be worth taking a fleece along - of course ours was sat in November, not Oct so this might not apply.

EDIT TO ADD:
One thing, though. A friend of mine whose DD took the test about 4 years ago went with another friend and her DD to Pate's to sit it. Big Mistake. My friend is jolly and laid back (and her DD got in!) she wanted just to chat about the X Factor and having a pizza later and stuff on the journey in, keep it all low key. The minute she pulled up at her friend's house she knew she'd done the wrong thing. The child was being pestered with last minute instructions and bits of advise, "Remember, darling ...." etc; the father actually ran down the road, thumping on the car window bellowing stuff about "most important day of your life ..." etc. (Imagine!). I need hardly say that the girl managed about 2 questions, vomited profusely and had to go home. Daddy's now paying indie fees.
Keep it mellow on the day.

Likewise, don't get freaked out on the journey home when your child starts prattling irrelevancies - mine freaked me out banging on about a mouse question. A hasty ring round further plunged me into gloom when NO ONE else knew anything about a mouse question. Turned out it was some DSi/Professor Layton thing he'd been chatting about with another boy at break time. Also be prepared for child to show an irritatingly slack lack of interest in the tests. Probe as you like, the only ones they'll remember are the ones you know they got wrong. They remember those, too, because they weren't sure of them - NOT indicative, believe me, of eventual result.

Also, be prepared to feel quite flat on the afternoon after the test. I expected to feel elated and have a bonfire of the papers and in fact felt utterly deflated, bit headachey and low. This, too, passes!