appeals hearing

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
karen

appeals hearing

Post by karen »

Dear Etienne
I am in the process of trying to put together my presentation for my daughter's appeal (Berkshire). You may remember she is the one with sinus problems, still not sorted and may need surgery.
I have been reading the code of appeal and it states that for selective appeals, 'the panel should not attempt to make it's own assessment of a child's ability'. What does this mean with reference to any academic evidence that I may produce? Someone I know of, whose child missed by 1 point was told their child was lucky to get the mark they did. Surely this is making their own assessment. Thank you for your help.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

An interesting question, Karen.

What I think it means is this. Firstly, if I were on a panel, and being shown some examples of a pupil's work, I should not (as an unqualified teacher) be attempting to assess the work. Even if the panel included a couple of qualified teachers, they probably wouldn't be experts on the year 6 curriculum, but, even if they were, they shouldn't be trying to substitute their judgement for that of the teacher who marked the work.

Secondly, in the unlikely event that the pupil was admitted to the hearing (the code of practice advises against), the panel should not be trying to make judgements about the child (let alone interviewing him/her!).

At the risk of splitting hairs, it seems to me that a panel should not attempt its own assessment of a child's ability, but should weigh up the evidence of a child's ability, i.e. comments by teachers, a report from the headteacher, an educational psychologist's report, etc.
Etienne
Claire

Post by Claire »

This is exactly the point that we are appealing to the ombudsman about after our failed appeal (bucks)
The panel called the school work submitted "very poor", despite it being marked with 5c's! I think they were looking at the handwriting,which was not great,but is irrelevent when assessing a childs academic ability.It is the content of the work that is most important.I suggest you emphasise the academic ability heavily, compared to national average and what is expected at this stage and against the rest of the class. If you are submitting school work,(which i wish we hadn't as you don't have to!), i would mention it during your appeal,stated what level it has been marked with and how this compares to national average etc.I don't think our panel knew much about sats marks or how a childs academic ability is assessed.Make sure you find out the panel members backgrounds e.g ex headteacher etc and how familiar they are with the system in your county,in a polite way of course!
At the end of the day they should be able to trust the schools recommendations and not ignore them.
Good Luck
Bo Peep

Post by Bo Peep »

Good point Claire - thanks.

Any suggestions on how you go about finding out the panel's background 'in a polite way'... I've been rehersing it in my mind and everytime I do I imagine them bristling in their seats.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

In our appeal they introduced themselves and said 'I'm a retired teacher and a governor' and similar things.
Bo Peep

Post by Bo Peep »

thanks Guest55, I had hoped that might be the case.
karen

Post by karen »

Dear all,
thank you for your help and words of advice
:) Karen
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

It is worth making a mental (or pencil) note of the background of each of your appeal panel members. It all passes in a bit of blur at the time, but the make-up of the panel just might be relevant if you are dissatisfied with the outcome and want to take it further.

Sally-Anne
Bo Peep

Post by Bo Peep »

Thanks Sally-Anne, that's a good tip.