Very very New

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Fismum

Very very New

Post by Fismum »

Hello All,

I have always wanted my daughter to go to a grammar school and then I stumbled upon this forum while doing a lot of searches online. I wonder if anyone can help me pls. She is year 4 presently at a local primary doing quite well, don't know where to start or which books to buy or where I can get CSSE past questions?

Any suggestion appreciated, or is it too early to start coaching? :(

Thanks
muffinmonster

Re: Very very New

Post by muffinmonster »

Hi Fismum and welcome to the forums.

The CSSE have a website (http://www.csse.org.uk/) where you can order practice papers. As your daughter is only in year 4, however, it's a bit early to start with them. Plenty of reading (and discussion of what she is reading) is great at this stage, and keep working on extending her vocabulary. Also look for games and puzzles that will stretch her thinking skills and basic maths skills.

If you want something more formal, the Bond practice papers are good. You can get 'bite size' practice books where you do 10-minute sessions, and books of papers which are intended to be done almost like a mock exam, and take (I think) 30 minutes. They are banded by age, so you start with the ones suitable for your child's age and then move up or down or stay the same depending on how she gets on with them.

I don't know much about the format for the Essex exams, but I'm sure someone else will be along soon to help.

Good luck!
Fismum

Post by Fismum »

Thank you muffinmonster for the swift reply. Very appreciated.
moved

Post by moved »

Hi Fismum,

Hopefully you have seen the sticky at the top of the Essex section. The Bond and the Letts books cover the basic skills required for both English and maths, will provide good timing practice and are good value for money. Age appropriate papers are available and you can use them until the 11+.

Most pupils usually begin tuition in December/January of yr 5.

The biggest issue with the 11+ in Essex is the high level of the English and the maths papers. As muffinmonster said encourage reading, play Boggle, scrabble, etc. www.freerice.com is a fun website for vocabulary.

The maths tested is significantly harder than that studied in school prior to the exam. It is a good idea to develop problem solving skills, such as those used for the Primary Maths Challenge.

Good luck and visit the forum often, there is a huge amount of experience amongst the other members.
Fismum

Post by Fismum »

Hi Moved,

Thanks. I have been doing exactly that, I mean going through the people's post and yes there is a wealth of experience on the forum. We use freerice website and my DD loves it. I will keep visiting the forum.

Thanks
Karma-mel

Post by Karma-mel »

Hi

I have found **(advertising)** online practise papers very useful although costly. Also some areas are now doing kent test prep classes which cater for children in yr 4 and 5 .

Name of site removed by mod due to advertising.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now