Questions regarding WKG, WGS, Upton and Birkenhead Academy

Eleven Plus (11+) in Wirral

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
toolate?

Questions regarding WKG, WGS, Upton and Birkenhead Academy

Post by toolate? »

Hi

I was wondering whether anyone can please answer a few questions for me before we start hitting the schools next week?

Do Wirral and West Kirby have a catchment area this year and if you live out of the area is it worth applying? Is their a bus from New Brighton?

If you are a non Catholoic is it worth applying to Upton? Does anyone know how many non catholics got in this year?

Is it even worth putting Birkenhead Academy down as first choice since it seams a lottery on who gets in?

Anyone ever got into or even consider a Liverpool school?

Any info would be greatly received?

Thanks
guest43

Re: Questions regarding WKG, WGS, Upton and Birkenhead Acade

Post by guest43 »

Hi there. I hope this helps. This is my understanding and I am prepared to be corrected!

Wirral and West Kirby don't have a catchment area as such but priority is given according to how close to the school you live. In recent years this has meant a few girls who live far away who passed the 11+ have not received a place at Wirral but I don't think West Kirby has ever been fully subscribed.

I believe there is a bus from New Brighton to West Kirby (and of course Merseyrail)

Upton Hall admit non-Catholics-working from the highest score in their 11+ equivalent test downwards. In practice I think maybe 20 to 30 a year. It is a separate test to the 11+ however so it does give you two bites of the cherry.

BHSA is indeed effectively a lottery but it has not been vastly oversubscribed so I think if you applied you would have a 50/50 chance. I would certainly recommend it over any of the other comprehensives on Wirral.

I am not aware of any children from Wirral going to Liverpool for schooling, especially given the schools are not in the city centre. The only school I can think that would be of interest is Bluecoat, but as it is Liverpool's only grammar school it's 11+ requirements (and subsequent examination results) are substantially higher than those of the schools on the Wirral. It is co-ed however.

Hope that helps.
toolate?

Post by toolate? »

Thank you very much for your reply. We shall just have to see where she fancies going (she has a rough idea but hasn't visited the schools yet) and then hope for the best.

Just looked up Bluecoats and they do a test in English, Maths and Verbal reasoning but the exam is on October 2nd so it would be too late to get practice in plus all the private primary schools prepare the kids for getting in there so the standard would be very high. They do give you an idea of the results though before applications have to be in.

Is Uptons 11 plus a similar level to Wirral and West Kirby or is it easier or harder?
I know Birkenhead is Non-verbal reasoning - can anyone suggest what practice papers to get for here as non verbal is something we haven't looked at before.

Thanks very much
guest43

Post by guest43 »

Upton 11+ is broadly similar to Wirral/West Kirby. There is a view that it is a little bit easier but of course that won't help you so much if you are non-Catholic. Having said that if you have a bright child and like the idea of a faith school putting Upton 1 and then West Kirby or Wirral 2 is one option.

Re BHSA-because admission is on a test performance fair banding quota basis (ie 20% from top performers, 20% from bottom performers etc) a good mark will generally not make the offer of a place more likely than a poor mark! If I were you I would concentrate on the 11+ preparation rather than this.
toolate?

Post by toolate? »

Hi

Thats what I was beginnging to think regards to Birkenhead.

One final question sorry - do you know roughly how many questions you have to get correct to get the 236 pass mark. I know the marks are standardised but she wants a rough idea as to whether its in the region of over 75 correct as she is worrying that she is not getting 80 out of 80.

Thanks a lot - we are new to this system and just want to understand the entire process before going into the schools next week.
guest43

Post by guest43 »

I don't know but I am sure someone of this forum does. I would have thought if you were achieving 75 out of 80 you would have no problem.
Maybelle

Post by Maybelle »

guest43 wrote:
Wirral and West Kirby don't have a catchment area as such but priority is given according to how close to the school you live. In recent years this has meant a few girls who live far away who passed the 11+ have not received a place at Wirral but I don't think West Kirby has ever been fully subscribed.

Upton Hall admit non-Catholics-working from the highest score in their 11+ equivalent test downwards. In practice I think maybe 20 to 30 a year. It is a separate test to the 11+ however so it does give you two bites of the cherry.

BHSA is indeed effectively a lottery but it has not been vastly oversubscribed so I think if you applied you would have a 50/50 chance. I would certainly recommend it over any of the other comprehensives on Wirral.

Hope that helps.

Hi Toolate? I have been unable to visit the forum lately, so missed your post. I think Guest43 has answered effectively, however, I thought I might be able to expand upon a couple of points for you? :)

Frankly, Upton Hall will admit any girl who passes the test or appeal - without being too concerned with her religious belief? Last year around a 1/4 of their intake were non Catholic (although I have heard rumours of more). Certainly, they use the LEA appeal panels (most Catholic schools,including St Anselm's have their own Church Panel Members).

Whilst I have heard BHSA was undersubscribed during their first year as Academy - I think that over 300 (350ish?) girls sat the test for entry this September. There were around 50 places available via this method - although another 10 were available to any girls with a musical ability. I have an earlier post which might explain the admission system more. :)

For some reason, unknown to me, it does seem that West Kirby has been undersubscribed for the last couple of years
:?: Which should mean that your DD should be offered a place there if she reaches the pass mark - and it may be easier to appeal, if necessary...

If I can help with any further info regarding BHS, please just PM me - I'd be happy to help... :D

Hope you enjoy your school visits,
M
Inside of every mother is a school girl wondering what the *ell just happened???
toolate?

Post by toolate? »

Thanks M for your reply.

We have seen three schools now with 2 others to go and then its decision time.

Does anyone know if any kids got into BHSA this year by placing the school 2nd?

Thanks
guest43

Post by guest43 »

Putting BHSA 2nd won't impact the chance of a place from them...except remember if you get your first choice place whether grammar or comprehensive you can't change your mind and go for your 2nd choice without a lot of grovelling and arguing with the council. In practice if you put BHSA second and get your 1st choice you will never discover if you would have received a place from BHSA.

On the other hand if you put BHSA 1st and a grammar school 2nd, then an offer from BHSA will nullify the chance of a grammar school place even if your child passes the 11+.
Maybelle

Post by Maybelle »

guest43 wrote:Putting BHSA 2nd won't impact the chance of a place from them...except remember if you get your first choice place whether grammar or comprehensive you can't change your mind and go for your 2nd choice without a lot of grovelling and arguing with the council. In practice if you put BHSA second and get your 1st choice you will never discover if you would have received a place from BHSA.

On the other hand if you put BHSA 1st and a grammar school 2nd, then an offer from BHSA will nullify the chance of a grammar school place even if your child passes the 11+.

On the whole, I agree (again) :) . The schools do not know in what order you place them. However, if you place a grammar first and don't reach the pass mark - then your 2nd choice becomes the first choice, by default... So, if your favourite school really is one of the grammars then by all means place it first - that way you will be happy with either your first or 2nd choice school (hope I have made sense there). :? In our own case, we were so torn - especially when you now have to make five choices. :shock: We struggled, but stuck with BHSA. We applied for an Indie too. Our DD was offered both - but the Indie couldn't offer any bursary - So BHS it was... :D Do I wonder if we should have pushed on for a grammar? Frankly, No... Our DD is academic, but we have no doubt at all that the Academy can support and nurture her abilities just as well [or better] as any of them! :D (Phew - and after that mouthful, I will end it there)
Inside of every mother is a school girl wondering what the *ell just happened???
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now