How was the first week at GS? Good and Bad points?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

gloucsdad

How was the first week at GS? Good and Bad points?

Post by gloucsdad »

How was it for you / your DC?

Do tell!

Please!
EmeraldE

Re: How was the first week at GS? Good and Bad points?

Post by EmeraldE »

hi Gloucsdad,

DS1 started at Pates this week.
Goods:
1. Nice gentle start with some homework which was not taxing.
2. The school seems to run on a 2 week programme and not a weeky timetable which DS likes.
3. He has 'unscheduled' periods three times a week. They played tag rugby this week (not sure if that's every week or not).
4. DS1 has made friends and is enjoying the social side of school as much as the work.

Other points:
1. They started much later (almost a week) after the primary schools went back which I guess could cause some issues with child care arrangements for working mums. However, DS1 enjoyed the extra time but did want to 'get into it' like all his friends at different schools who started earlier.
2. A scary looking German book made its way home on Day 2...I am hopeless at languages so no help will be available there!
3. I am used to the primary way of getting letters and notes home to remind me of events etc. This is now done via e-mails and through the website so it is important to keep checking regularly.

That's about it :0)
cairo

Post by cairo »

DS1 started at Tommies 10 days ago and is very happy so far. He seems to be talking to / making friends with boys from across the year, not just his form, which I think is a good thing. He's also enthusiastically joining in with various lunchtime / afterschool clubs - he's not always been the most confident of children, so I'm encouraged by this.

Couple of less good things. Firstly, it was discovered on the first day back that several lockers in his form did not have keys, so DS1 still does not have a locker. (Could they not have checked this during the summer?) This means that he has to lug all his books around all day plus PE kit once a week and rugby kit 3 times a week (he's doing extra rugby.) He hasn't complained about it yet, but some days as he walks off to the bus-stop, he looks totally swamped by it all.

Also, the new Y7s have had a couple of problems with the Y11s. One poor lad got a tooth inadvertently knocked out :shock: . Another had his blazer pocket ripped off. Hope it calms down soon.

DS1 is going on an ice-breaker 3 day jaunt to Stratford with his form shortly and looking forward to that.
gloucsdad

Post by gloucsdad »

What does induction feel like?

Do they start with a focus on homework and discipline or music and arts and sport? I wonder what type of DC would fit in where? Do they really care?
slackmum

Post by slackmum »

My DS also started Pate's this week and seems to have taken to it like a duck to water, he is making friends and taking responsibility for his homework and organisation. He is a new and content child.

The major themes beyond this have been exhaustion and excitement, but this is a boy who was used to getting up at 8.20 am and now has to leave the house at 7.30 I am confident that we will make the adjustment quite quickly. I have eased up on his chores this week until I see how heavy the homework load is going to be.

The only slight disappointment has been that the challenging work has not started yet my DS is very competative and yearns to be stretched after several boring years at primary school. This is probably a unique complaint.

He goes to school with a spring in his step and comes home happy and bubbly every day so it was definately worth the effort.
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

DS2 really enjoying Tommy's.

They have a two morning Science club which DS1 also attended when he started last year. This takes place for two consecutive mornings preceding the start of term. Both thoroughly enjoyed.

He has opted not to go for a locker as he thinks it will be more inconvenient. He seems to be coping fine without and going on DS1's experience last year am rather relieved. He had told me about the tooth incident but didn't know about the blazer one. Mr Daniels has given them all some advice on the best ways to avoid these sorts of incidents.

Homework is going well. The maths teacher told them to only spend 20 mins on his and if not completed just get a parent to confirm time spent. So no slogging on for best part of an evening which I whole heartily agree with.

DS1 has also settled back nicely despite some teething problems last year . I have to say that any dealings I have had with the school have always been positive and have only served to reinforce our decision to put our sons in there.

Re the early starts which were always going to be a prob with DS2 there have been two incidents of me having to chase him up the road with lunch bag. Thankfully the lane is pretty quiet at that time as me first thing and still in my night attire is not a good look.
Milla

Post by Milla »

my boy is loving Pate's so far. Not tired yet, despite the much earlier start, but only 3 days in.
As for lockers at Tommy's - ridiculous! For Pate's you buy your own padlock and give the spare key to the teacher. So much more sensible and puts you in charge of it straightaway. I remember DS1 waiting for about SIX WEEKS for a locker key.
Keep complaining about the Y11 boys. There are a few in that year who are vile - my boy is in Y9 so when he started these boys were in Y9 to his Y7 and I keep waiting for them to grow up and leave the little ones in charge. Complain to Mr Daniel AND to Mr Morgan (Deputy Head, and Head of lower school). Both of these have always been really helpful, I've found. They don't want your child to be unhappy. I've got friends with children in Y11 and one particular form is a nightmare form (the one they're in!). God knows why Mr K hasn't split them up.
Perplexed 2009

Post by Perplexed 2009 »

My DD started Pate's and to quote she, "hates school".

Thanks Amber for post else where - it made us feel less unusual as everyone l've spoken to is having a ball!

She likes the school lunches (now has a choice), and is enjoying making new friends.

She is totally overwhelmed by size and anonymity. Finds the etiquitte for the lockers area is rugby scrum. Enjoyed dance (should she be at Ribston?).

Got her to bed "early" last night, so perhaps better chance today (it is Induction Day which should help).

Main dread is Geography as she can't scribble down words quick enough and will have to borrow a friend's book to catch up.

However, when starting back each year after summer break, she has always been shocked to be back in a routine; her summer of reading and pottering about is not the norm, with summer camps etc. keeping lots of children in routine all summer.

She misses her old school and is now of course romanticising about it. She did enjoy a very non-academic, non pushy primary school and so was not, "glad to be left".

I'm sure in 6 months time she'll have settled at Pate's.
Milla

Post by Milla »

I'm sorry to hear that P2009 - ours are in the same class are they not? He's not said much but seems to be enjoying it - my main relief is that he is being more sociable than of yore and seems to have found a nice little group of friends. Of course for the boys, with 20 to pick and choose from, it's easier than for the girls maybe. Not quite the "no homework" Mr F promised but "pointless homework" maybe doesn't count - heart sinks at cutting out pictures of things I enjoy etc. So far though so good. Know that all can change a few months down the line when gets colder and not new and shiny.
Was worryingly keen on shooting today. A mild friend, who's very liberal, thought he was discussing a Columbine cull and was doing some "mkay, may not be such a good idea" stuff at him.
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Was worryingly keen on shooting today
DS2 is saving up for an air rifle. I actually prefer this to his last big save which resulted in a lap-top and far too much time spent on. Rather he was outside catching bunnies for the pot what with the recession and all :wink:
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now