a question for everyone who lives in Kent

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

mystery

a question for everyone who lives in Kent

Post by mystery »

Do any of you know anyone who passed the Kent 11+, lives in a Kent selective area, and who after waiting lists and appeals did not get a grammar school place that they could travel to?
hamster

Re: a question for everyone who lives in Kent

Post by hamster »

Four girls got a TWGGS place only last week on second appeal having already started at other schools so they did not have a grammar school place by the time the September term started. I am guessing there must be many parents who gave up at this point but I don't know any of them personally.
twellsmum

Post by twellsmum »

Girl from village about 2 miles from TW (in Kent) passed on appeal but was allocated I think to Sittingbourne or Dartford, now has a place at another wide ability school in TW and AFAIK started there and has stayed there. Failed 11+ because was sick over maths paper and school did not think it worth notifying KCC for reason no maths paper submitted - hmmmm!
SSM

Post by SSM »

twellsmum wrote:Girl from village about 2 miles from TW (in Kent) passed on appeal but was allocated I think to Sittingbourne or Dartford, now has a place at another wide ability school in TW and AFAIK started there and has stayed there. Failed 11+ because was sick over maths paper and school did not think it worth notifying KCC for reason no maths paper submitted - hmmmm!
A bit confused about this, as I thought you appeal to the schools that you want, so surely she would have appealed to schools closer?
twellsmum

Post by twellsmum »

She failed so was appealing against that but by teh time it was agreed she should have passed, teh only school with places was over hte other side of the county. I believe she appealed to TWGGS but was told they were full but as she had now passed she could go to Sittingbourne or wherever. Her mother had had enough of it all by now so gave in and sent to her a TW wide ability school.
TIDDLYMUM

Post by TIDDLYMUM »

The same/similar thing happened to us last year.

We won appeal on nonqual (this was my niece) but not oversubscription, as school full by this point as all places allocated, appeal was in June so of course they would be. She was added to waiting list but nothing ever came of it. She started high school but later left for an indie, where she is thriving. Had been deemed qualified from day 1, she would have been guaranteed a place based on distance. To me seemed incredibly unfair and I must say still rankles...

We did try and look into this matter but LA generally unhelpful and the school downright unpleasant.
tigger2

Post by tigger2 »

These ones spring to mind. Two dc's passed at a school in the Tonbridge area and both were offered places at skinners kent academy. Last I heard was that appeals were late in being heard but I fairly sure one opted for a gs in east kent and the other stayed put.
The year before children from villages around t wells were offered Sittingbourne and Dover. Another one I knew of in 2009 was offered Sittingbourne and all appeals failed so they ended up at Hugh Christie.
katel

Post by katel »

I think there were a cople of children in Whitstable who ended up with no grammar place at all - could be wrong, it might be just rumour
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now