Travelling to Bucks schools from Slough

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

muvvalac

Travelling to Bucks schools from Slough

Post by muvvalac »

Does anyone know if there are any private coaches/cars organised by parents so that slough/langley children can travel to Bucks schools like (Royal Grammar, John Hampden, Dr Challenor boys)

If so then I can choose one of this school as my child's one of his preference in his CAF

Please guide me, I dont want my son to use public transport from Langley to any of above schools as it takes 3 hrs door-door both ways every day.

So any existing transport arrangments would help me in choosing my preferences in my DS's CAF

Please reply with any information that you may have

Thanks
guest666

Re: Travelling to Bucks schools from Slough

Post by guest666 »

Muvvalac

while they may be the nearest boys' GS to Slough the allocation profiles would suggest that they are unlikely to have any pupils living in Slough so your chances would seem very slim of getting a place, let alone finding any transport
muvvalac

Post by muvvalac »

guest666 wrote:Muvvalac

while they may be the nearest boys' GS to Slough the allocation profiles would suggest that they are unlikely to have any pupils living in Slough so your chances would seem very slim of getting a place, let alone finding any transport
ie true, but i thought of putting one of the above GS instead of Burnham grammar school.

Travelling to Burnham GS also takes around 40 min by public transport from langley. so thought if there is any private coach/taxi to reach above grammar schools from here in the same time then it is worth choosing those GS

you are right, chances are very slim but no harm putting it as 6th choice if transport available, as the above three are better than Burnham grammar school
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

If you put them 6th you will be allocated somewhere closer that you have put above it in the choices anyway so it is a wasted choice. You will be allocated the highest placed school you put down if they pass the Bucks 11 plus and they can offer a place. If you put, for example, a Slough school above a Bucks one (I think they all go on the same form now?) you will certainly get that one, not JHG etc further down your list. And Burnham Grammar is much more sought after these days anyway. Allocations for John Hampden were much closer the the school this year due to the inclusion of Gerrads Cross and Iver.
scary mum
muvvalac

Post by muvvalac »

scary mum wrote:If you put them 6th you will be allocated somewhere closer that you have put above it in the choices anyway so it is a wasted choice. You will be allocated the highest placed school you put down if they pass the Bucks 11 plus and they can offer a place. If you put, for example, a Slough school above a Bucks one (I think they all go on the same form now?) you will certainly get that one, not JHG etc further down your list. And Burnham Grammar is much more sought after these days anyway. Allocations for John Hampden were much closer the the school this year due to the inclusion of Gerrads Cross and Iver.
True, but who knows the worst/rare possibility where DS may get enough marks in bucks and not enough marks in berks papers. Please note that Bucks has only VR and where as berks has VR/NVR so more chances of getting qualifiying marks in bucks than berks. in that case DS gets 6th choice only not all above them. I want to be prepared for this scenario hence I am thinking if I should put 6th choice as Burnham or above 3 other bucks school. Above 3 are outstanding and Burnham is good as per ofsted report. But we all know it is not easy to decide which one is better than the other school. My we may have more chances to get into Burnham as we are close by than other bucks schools.

It is all about fate/probability/luck who decides , hardwork matters first

All is Well
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Oh, yes, didn't think of that scenario! If you look at the figures I would think that Dr Challoners etc are almost completely out of the running from Slough - the final figures for this year haven't been released yet, but I think John Hampden went out to about 6 or 7 miles, the others less, not sure about BGS but that would be a safer bet - I believe they are full now and having people appeal for places so definitely up and coming.
Last edited by scary mum on Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scary mum
muvvalac

Post by muvvalac »

As per allocation profile in 2010 it says ' all qualified were offered' for most of the bucks boys schools

what does that mean ?

I interpret this as , everyone who got 121 and put that corresponding school into the CAF are allocated, irrespective of where they live.

Is this correct ?

your opinions please
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

No, only a few were all offered (can't remember the details, but Chesham & William Borlase spring to mind. Some (eg JHG) all catchment offered and siblings, plus out to a certain distance out of catchment (6.7 miles). My son qualified, but we are out of catchment (about 5 miles closer than you) and didn't get a place. Have a look at the allocation profiles link further down in this forum - they are the 1st March allocations, not the final ones. Edit after looking at figures - BGS all catchment, siblings and out of catchment to 11+ miles.
scary mum
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now