Layout of Test Papers

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
CookieMumster

Layout of Test Papers

Post by CookieMumster »

Hello everyone!

I have been a lurker here for some time and have found this forum very useful, but am panicking now just before the tests :(

I downloaded the Bexley specimen papers months ago, before we looked at the NFER papers, and had left them for practice just before the tests. Well, what a shock I got just now, the layout is nothing like the NFER layout. The questions are not in groups of 6-7 with instructions, but each question has individual instructions! Obviously repeating themselves for the same type question, but it will be a lot more time-consuming and confusing! I haven't prepared my son for this :( Could someone please tell me whether the questions in the real test will be set out in groups like NFER or each question will have separate instructions?

Also, I'm concerned that for some question types that require two answers (e.g. opposite in meaning) the answer is a combination of letters, as opposed to the two words, like here:

Choose one word from each group that are most nearly opposite in meaning.

A sad ........................... P fearful
B worried ..................... Q peaceful
C calm ......................... R happy

AP AQ AR
BP BQ BR
CP CQ CR

Then to mark 'sad' and 'happy' they expect children to mark AR. That's very confusing :( Is that how it is in the real test?

And finally, I think my son might find it easier to mark the answers initially in the question booklet and then transfer them to the answer sheet. Would that be possible? Are all the answers shown in the question booklet?

Thank you!
Ang's mom

Re: Layout of Test Papers

Post by Ang's mom »

Hi CookieMumster,

I havent had a chance to look at the Bexley sample papers (would only be doing them this Sunday), so I cant answer your first question.
CookieMumster wrote: And finally, I think my son might find it easier to mark the answers initially in the question booklet and then transfer them to the answer sheet. Would that be possible? Are all the answers shown in the question booklet?
Regarding this query, I had previously emailed the Admissions section enquiring about the do and dont's of writting on the question paper.
They replied back saying, that they do provide paper for rough working. They generally discourage children from marking the question papers in case they need to be used again, but the invigilators are advised not to worry too much if children do mark them.

I have asked my daughter to circle the questions she wants to come back to, and to do all other rough work on the paper provided.
CookieMumster

Post by CookieMumster »

Thank you.

Anybody here have a child who sat the tests in the recent past? Could you please give some idea what the layout is like? The explanation in the specimen papers states "The specimen questions try and give an idea of the range and presentation of questions that will be used in the Bexley verbal reasoning (VR) selection test..." So if the presentation is like in the specimen papers, then it's nothing like NFER. If it's not, then the information from Bexley is misleading :?

Please someone shed some light :?:
dani*

Post by dani* »

Have a look here, hope the link works.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 51&t=15183
2childmum

Post by 2childmum »

My son took the test 2 years ago and it was set out like the NFER papers.

I think the Bexley 'sample' tests are very misleading in more ways than one!
CookieMumster

Post by CookieMumster »

Thank you for that. So it is confirmed that the possible answers are not shown in the question booklet for every question?

Dani*, I had a look at your thread. In all fairness, Bexley have explicitly stated "The specimen questions do not attempt to reproduce the balance of easy and difficult questions that will appear in the full papers. Some of the real questions will be quite difficult in order to differentiate between children of different abilities. Getting the specimen questions right should not be used as an indication of how well a child might do in the real tests." So we can't complain if the real test is more difficult than the sample, it simply has to be more difficult, and they have stated it explicitly.

My gripe is about the fact that they state "The specimen questions try and give an idea of the range and presentation of questions that will be used" (their highlighting!), and that is completely wrong and misleading with regard to the presentation. Most parents with an ASD child will know why that's a problem and have a case for a complaint or an appeal.
dani*

Post by dani* »

I guess we all have different needs. I appreciated that there has to be a variation in difficulty level but the sample paper provided is so easy that it simply can't be compared with the real paper. If this is all children have seen before the test I would not be surprised if some children simply freeze/ get upset during the test because they realize that they can not answer a lot of the questions.

For us it would be more important to have an indication of the difficulty level of the paper. Also our Primary school clearly told us that If a child has special needs than this should be addressed before the test in order that arrangements can be made. I wouldn't be surprised if this is not clearly mentioned in the paperwork.
Perhaps your head teacher would be able to help you in this instance.
I'm sorry and I'm probably wrong but I don't see how this would be grounds for an appeal.
Bex mum

Post by Bex mum »

My son took the test last year and I am quite sure the papers look very much like the NFER papers. Yes, the test papers on the Bexley website are easier and were used in his school beforehand just as a practice. It also shows on the website how to apply for special arrangements in the case of additional needs but it seems that should be done by July - don't remember seeing that on there last year.
CookieMumster

Post by CookieMumster »

Thank you all for the advice. I have decided not to show the Bexley sample papers to my son at all, because they probably will do more harm than good.

Dani*, I'm sorry, I did not mean to come across so insensitive to other people's worries. You are right that we all have different needs. Knowing my son I expect him to be a lot more affected by the way the paper is presented than the level of difficulty. He is referred for Aspergers, but no official diagnosis yet, so no adjustments for the tests because there are no adjustments for him at his current school (yet!).

Good luck to all DC!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now