Law degree

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Pensby

Law degree

Post by Pensby »

Hi my DD is considering Law as a degree,she has just started her AS levels and is doing Eng Lit,Eng lang,Hist, Gov and Politics,General Studies and Critical Thinking
She got A* in Eng Lit and A's in 3 sciences,Maths,German,History,Geog ,Eng and ICT .
I wondered what advice anyone has on where to look at for the best courses and what sort of grades she may need -she is thinking of Cardiff but mainly because she like the city - we live near Liverpool uni but she wants to go further away.
Any advice ? :D
thanks Pensby
sherry_d

Re: Law degree

Post by sherry_d »

I have only heard that a law degree can be quite boring. About 50% of those in the profession or at the working at the Magic Circle do is another degree like history or politics and then do that one year conversion course. I dont mean to be sexist but a while ago a report said most woman leave the profession after 8 year because it can be quite demanding and not family friendly. Doing a degree which doesnt tie you to just law in the future may open up more opportunities in later life if she gets fed up with working in law.

Law is also quite broad, does she have a particular area in mind? If she is set on being a barrister for examble then perhaps a straight law degree may be better.
Impossible is Nothing.
Pensby

Post by Pensby »

Hi
She hasn't any firm ideas to be honest,its an idea based on her A level choices-she loves English but I worry what she can do with it-she's not interested in teaching,libraries or journalism !
If Law is a boring degree then maybe it's not such a good idea ! i have to admit to knowing little about it -its very daunting knowimg how to advise her !
Any other suggestions from her A level choice ?
Pensby
KB

Post by KB »

Agree that a Law degree is by no means necessary to enter the legal profession but equally having a Law degree does not 'tie' you to that profession.
A good degree from a decent Uni would be well regarded by many other employers.
Also agree though that its worth making sure Dc understands the content of the courses she applies for - depending on her academic ability & future plans there may be courses which combine Law with Buisiness/Economics/Government etc that might be more suitable.
If DC is keen on going on to work in the legal profession then I would look at where graduates of the course have gone on to, how the course is taught/examined, what the drop out rate is.
Also seem to be inreasing issues with accommodation so worth bearing in mind when chosing a Uni.
Don't know much about how useful an English degree is beyond the obvious but from friends this year it seems very competitive for the top places.
phaedra

Post by phaedra »

A Law degree is a sound, well respected general degree, whether she goes into Law or not in the end. I don't think it's true or helpful to say its boring - She needs to do a bit of her own research through reading to see if it interests her and get some work shadowing experience in a Legal environment. In fact work experience is pretty much essential for Law.

It is incredibly competitive with huge numbers applying . Corporate Law isn't family friendly because of the punishing hours, but there are other areas of Law which are as family friendly as any career - you can look into the working environments/ hours if you delve further. For example Crown Prosecution Service or European Patents Office would have sensible hours and flexible working possiblities.

You do not have to do a Law degree to be a lawyer but you will then need to study for two years after your degree instead of one. Some anecdotal evidence suggests that during the current downturn, non-Law graduates are having a tougher time than Law graduates, but this might well change in the five or so years before your daughter qualifies, and of course, if you do a respected alternative degree which is relevant in some way (Science is useful for Patent Law for example, or a language for International work, or Criminology for Criminal Law) you will still be in demand. The best courses will usually want three As. Some good Universities - and Cardiff is often one of them - are sometimes more flexible. Cardiff is a nice city to be a student in and relatively inexpensive.