KCC's Objections to Judd, Skinners and TOGS Admissions

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Blue Peter

KCC's Objections to Judd, Skinners and TOGS Admissions

Post by Blue Peter »

Please find a link to KCC's 3 documents covering the objections, submitted to the adjudicator.

http://www.kent.gov.uk/education_and_le ... cator.aspx

Hope it works! Happy reading.
Last edited by WP on Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: more transparent URL
doodles

Re: KCC's Objections to Judd, Skinners and TOGS Admissions

Post by doodles »

It works and I will read.
Blue Peter

Post by Blue Peter »

Forgot to say that it's a zip file. Hope that's OK. Let me know if there are any problems reading it.

[Not any more: I've changed the link to point at the KCC site. --WP]
Just1-2go

Post by Just1-2go »

Thank you for that! A little bedtime reading...
Toby

Post by Toby »

A quick read suggests that KCC really were being evasive at the public meeting last night. Their (apparently reluctantly released) documents reveal a long list of quite detailed objections (whether they stand scrutiny is a separate issue).

Their presentation on the night and their response to questioners pressing for details of their objections was very dismissive - they would not engage in a meaningful discussion. Perhaps they concluded it would just not be fruitful. But as a local taxpayer I find that attitude very arrogant. Still, the cynic in me says they can afford to be as, hey, this is Kent - they will never get voted out!
mystery

Post by mystery »

Have read one of these objection papers - presume they are all pretty much the same. Well, if KCC were going to use the time of public servants to back one side of this argument (whichever side it was) I think they could have done a more thorough job than this. It's one of these "surface" papers that might satisfy a politician, but it really doesn't provide any compelling statistical back-up for any of its sentiments. IMHO it leaves the School Adjudicator with quite a bit of work, requiring data provided by KCC staff, to find out which side of the argument would result in the "fairer" result, or a pretty snap judgement from him on the limited info available, and his own views on the "local schools for local children" argument.

I give KCC 1 out of 10 for this paper, but at least it would not have taken up much of their time. One officer, 3 hours max maybe, plus committee time.
SSM

Post by SSM »

Does anyone else, like cynical me, reckon that maybe someone high up at KCC lives in West Kent and has a child due to take the 11+?
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

To be fair to KCC they are in a position where they are finding it difficult to address the current problems.

First, they tried to allocate all children who qualified for a GS a place. Parents were disatisfied as some had long distances to travel.

Next, KCC tried to allocated all children who passed a GS within a reasonable distance, if they were unable to allocate within a reasonable distance they allocated a local school nearer. (I don't know what they considered a reasonable distance). Parents were then unhappy that qualified children were not allocated a GS.

KCC are in a difficult position trying to allocate schools and manage expectations.
SSM

Post by SSM »

One way KCC can help the situation is to make travelling easier.

Currently if you live north of Sevenoaks, which from what I understand is where most of the parents complaining live, you are almost equi distance from the TW GS as well as Dartford and Wilmington GSs.

However, KCC will not pay for children to travel to the NW Kent GSs by the coaches which are laid on by the schools.

There was a parent on here last year whose DD got a place at Wilmington, it was not their first choice, which they accepted, but then KCC insisted on paying for her to have a taxi to the train station and then a train then a bus, rather than paying for the coach which went right outside the girls house.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Maybe worth saying this in response to Adjudicator as Scott Bagshaw is head of Admissions and Transport. Has to be cheaper than setting up a grammar campus in Sevenoaks which seems to be the next political thought.