Dates for OCC Candidates tests.

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

logic32

Dates for OCC Candidates tests.

Post by logic32 »

Hi, I wondered if anyone could let me know a rough idea of when the test dates for the occ candidates will be sent to us. I know they will be in half term but not exactly when. I am only asking as we have been invited to a wedding and would like to let them know one way or the other. Clearly 11+ comes first ( and has done for what seems like forever !) but I just feel a bit rude not giving a definitive reply, but the happy couple are very understanding thank goodness.

I also wanted to ask if the test will definately be held at The Grange School, we are in Tring, as I thought it might be a good idea to drive there and show my son so he can at least have knowledge of where he'll be taking the test.

Many thanks .
Marylou

Re: Dates for OCC Candidates tests.

Post by Marylou »

Have you tried ringing the Admissions department? I really would have thought they'd have let you know where and when by now...just so that anyone involved can make plans for half-term.
Marylou
joop

Post by joop »

In the original letter I received it stated that they would let you know at the beginning of October . They must know, but whether they will be able to give it out. I also understand that if they have lots of applicants they will put some over to Saturdays in November.
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

:shock:
Marylou
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

I must say that I think only 3 weeks notice of the test dates is not great.

Parents whose children are taking the tests in Bucks schools have known (or at least, been able to find out) the test dates since January. Their children are also being tested at their schools during term-time, so that places no demands on family diaries.

The closing date to register for the test in the normal admission round was 3rd September, and it doesn't take a month to add up how many OoC applicants there are. Nor does the number change radically from year to year anyway. The location of OoC children may change a bit, but not by enormous numbers because they tend to be from the same primary schools.

The venues will have been selected before this term, and I can't see that it would hurt to overbook space and then cancel it if needs be.

Meanwhile the parents of any OoC applicant wanting a few days away with the family have to wait, as do the bride and groom mentioned above, etc, etc.

Although OoC applicants are not a priority, I do feel they deserve more notice than this.
patricia

Post by patricia »

I totally agree Sally-Anne.

My out of County parent has now been told they will be informed 2 weeks before the dates. The original letter stated they would not be on consecutive days. The parent has now been told they could be on consecutive days.

Patricia
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Patricia wrote:The original letter stated they would not be on consecutive days. The parent has now been told they could be on consecutive days.
Bucks CC Head Teachers' Manual for 2011 entry (no change from previous years):
:: The tests MUST be administered in the order above (test B28 before B29) and on separate days.

:: A minimum of one clear day should be left between the tests.
"Should" does not equal "MUST", but the statement is there.

Just thought I would mention it.
patricia

Post by patricia »

I know. :wink:

I have told my parent, but he is waitng for dates before he says anything.

Personally I think it s better to get it over and done with.

Patricia.
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

Sally-Anne wrote:
Patricia wrote:The original letter stated they would not be on consecutive days. The parent has now been told they could be on consecutive days.
Bucks CC Head Teachers' Manual for 2011 entry (no change from previous years):
:: The tests MUST be administered in the order above (test B28 before B29) and on separate days.

:: A minimum of one clear day should be left between the tests.
"Should" does not equal "MUST", but the statement is there.

Just thought I would mention it.

By leaving this arrangement to the last minute, Bucks CC are making it rather difficult for OOC candidates to apply to the schools, and unnecessarily so, imo. This from the Schools Admissions Code 2010:

Co-ordination of admissions from 2011-2012 onwards
3.7 The following paragraphs reflect the law as it applies to in-year applications for 2010 onwards, and to all applications for admission in 2011 onwards. While it is for each local authority to decide the scheme that best suits its residents and its schools, they must ensure that they.....do not disadvantage families resident in other local authorities who apply for schools in their area (which would be contrary to the rule established by the Greenwich Judgment.

It's not really a barrier, but only giving two weeks notice of the date and location of these important tests might be construed by some as a disadvantage. :?
Marylou
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now