When to start for 11+ ... help.

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
busybees

When to start for 11+ ... help.

Post by busybees »

Hi

I am from Hall Green Area in Birmingham. My son just started in year 5 and he had 4a and 4b in read and writing and 5c in Maths.
I am all new to the 11+ exams. Can someone advice me where to start and where can i have him assessed. Also is there any comprehensive schools near hall green??? I want to keep my option open for other school part from Grammer.

If anyone had their child gone for grammer school can you please advice me how it works this 11+. Do you have to sit in exams for each grammer school or just one???? sorry i am all confused and dont know much.

Please any advice be appreciated.

Do post a reply too after reading.....
um

Re: When to start for 11+ ... help.

Post by um »

Hello, if you read through this forum you will find lots of info and advice.

There is one test, usually early November, for the Consortium of Grammar Schools in Birmingham, that is Kings Edward's Camp Hill Boys, Girls, Five Ways, Aston and Handsworth, as well as Bishop Vesey and Sutton Girls.
There is another test, usually the week after, for the Handsworth (boys) Grammar School.
Queen Mary's (Walsall) also has a test in December.
If you are on the Shirley border you may just qualify for the Stratford and Alcester Grammars, who, unlike the ones above, have a geographical catchment area.

Your child seems to be doing very well, but it is time to find a tutor who can assess your child if wished and help you further, if you can afford it. Try to find someone who understands the content of the Consortium exam, and has one-to-one or small group tuition.
As for comprehensives, you seem well placed for Hall Green School, as well as Alderbrook and Light Hall in Solihull.
busybees

Post by busybees »

um wrote:Hello, if you read through this forum you will find lots of info and advice.

There is one test, usually early November, for the Consortium of Grammar Schools in Birmingham, that is Kings Edward's Camp Hill Boys, Girls, Five Ways, Aston and Handsworth, as well as Bishop Vesey and Sutton Girls.
There is another test, usually the week after, for the Handsworth (boys) Grammar School.
Queen Mary's (Walsall) also has a test in December.
If you are on the Shirley border you may just qualify for the Stratford and Alcester Grammars, who, unlike the ones above, have a geographical catchment area.

Your child seems to be doing very well, but it is time to find a tutor who can assess your child if wished and help you further, if you can afford it. Try to find someone who understands the content of the Consortium exam, and has one-to-one or small group tuition.
As for comprehensives, you seem well placed for Hall Green School, as well as Alderbrook and Light Hall in Solihull.

So if i am looking to get him into Camp hill there is only one test he will sit in. You only do the second test if i am considering the Handsworth school is that right???

Also, its next 2011 November my son will sit in test right???

Does anyone know any good tutors i can go for assesment.

Many Thanks for the reply.
um

Post by um »

Yes, there is only one test now that covers the King Edwards and Sutton Grammars. Handsworth is a separate test.
If your son is currently Year 5, he sist the test next November 2011 (with mine :wink: )
I don't know of any tutor with vacancies, sadly the reality is that you usually need to book a good tutor earlier than this.
However, I would take your time to find a good tutor who does know what they are doing and will not waste your time (and money...). There are 'tuition centres' everywhere that have a 'cram 'em in and pack 'em high' policy. They may be cheaper but they are not often that useful. If you can't find anyone you may be better off DIYing as you would at least have control and knowledge over what was happening. There's a lot of info on this website to help you.