Post 11+ Celebrations

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
pheasantchick

Post 11+ Celebrations

Post by pheasantchick »

How have you celebrated the end of the 11+?

This morning, I put all the paperwork in a box on a shelf high in the office.

This evening we've had fish and chips, magnum icecream and I'll have some wine. Also, I'm letting the boys watch all of the football match on tv tonight. Normally on a school night they'll only be allowed to watch the first half.

We're going to get my son a phone for all his hard work during the year.

Theres definitely a sense of freedom now.
hdq2907

Re: Post 11+ Celebrations

Post by hdq2907 »

We had roast dinner and my son went to the supermarket to choose a special dessert for all of us. He's staying up later tonight to make up for going to bed early for the last 2 nights!! I'm taking him to Ripley's believe it or not in London for a special day out - just the 2 of us!! i think we both deserve a special day out :D
denis denis

Post by denis denis »

Lucky you! We've still got the Dover test on SAturday morning, but after that we will be celebrating ... not sure how yet.
klmh1968

Post by klmh1968 »

Just wondering on what you guys think about the following comment from one of my friends. Her son wants a hamster if he passes his 11+. she is only going to get it if he does!

I must confess that i was shocked and said but surely you are going to get it regardless - she said i don't know!!! I personally am not going to do that - but is that the norm?

Your thoughts?
SSM

Post by SSM »

I think that's wrong. We praised the effort not the result. If we feel that our DSs have put in as much effort as they could and did not get the result then they were still rewarded. Likewise if they do quite well in exams, say get an A not A*, but we feel they did not put enough effort into it, then they know that we are not totally pleased.

To us, if the child puts the effort in then that is what counts as they are not selling themselves short.
committed

Post by committed »

I share your sentiment. Surely you create a monster in the making if it is only the result that matters....

We're interested in the effort. My DS came out of his 11+ this week and said 'I did my best...' He received a present in recognition of the fact that he tried his hardest and whatever happens that is good enough for me! :D
stayincalm

Post by stayincalm »

I too have rewarded the effort of the prep and sitting the exam. The harsh reality is that a fail one year is a pass another and you could 'fail' by one point on one paper whilst still getting a higher combined score than someone who passes. They all do their best but cos of their age some are bound to panic and not be as clear headed as they could be but that's not their fault!