Is this year a particularly bright year? (11+ takers now...)

Eleven Plus (11+) in Medway

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
rubyhettybetty

Is this year a particularly bright year? (11+ takers now...)

Post by rubyhettybetty »

My DDs class - just moved into year 6 and taking 11+ - seem a particularly bright bunch, I think many of them will do well in their 11+. I am just wondering whether this is the case across Medway this year and if so will we have an unexpectedly high pass mark?

My DD2 is following next year and her class don't seem as bright, not so many of them anyway...
ausvic

Re: Is this year a particularly bright year? (11+ takers now

Post by ausvic »

I think you will find that every year there are very bright children. The pass mark has been increasing gradually each year and I think this is also because more and more children are taking it and only the top 23 % (and 2% on appeal) can achieve a grammar school place. I also think that tutoring has become the norm with many children staring in year 5 so there is possibly not a lot of 'natural' brightness around as there may have been a few years back when tutoring was not the norm. Good luck to you and your child, having finished the 11+ I do understand what an exciting but stressful time it is for all. :D
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

In my dd's primary they seemed to have a brighter year every so often. Both dd1 and dd2 were from bright years (according to the school) - dd1's year was so bright that nearly 60% of them acheived level 5 in english, 45% maths and over 50% science. However that year the pass mark for the medway test was only about 504. It was the first time Medway decided to get all pupils to take the test outside the school at local secondarys. Many children were really worried about this, my dd for one. That year it was snowing heavely as well! So many children in her class acheived level 5's but did not pass. :(
:)
Hellybeds

Post by Hellybeds »

I agree tiredmum, DD left year 6 with 5a in Literacy, 5b in Maths and 5b in Science and still didn't get through the 11+ on the day due to nerves etc.

Tragic really. The system needs to be changed so that in Medway we have the chance of a HT review, as in Kent and that Medway children are also allowed to sit the exam in their own school and familiar surroundings.

Either that, or make ALL schools good and scrap the 11+ completely.
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

yes i really dont know why they decided to take the kids away from the familiar settings of their own school. That will always favour the "easy going" child who handles change easily. Are you thinking of 12+ review helly? :)
Hellybeds

Post by Hellybeds »

Hi tiredmum, yes most definately, as without causing any offence, DD is bored as she is in the same position as she was in year 6, static.

She is particularly gifted in Literacy and ironically, scored the top mark out of the school who took the 11+.

It is just so sad, that a subject she loves so much, is now becoming a subject she dreads due to lack of stimulation.

Not too sure about the procedure here in Medway, as to whether they take another test, or it is done on current scores etc.

Any advice would be much appreciated? :D
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

As far as I know she is assessed - if her levels are good - high 5;s - then they will consider moving her to grammar but i seem to remember reading somewhere that the schools administer their own tests. If i was you are would ring one of the grammars and ask - you really want to keep on this from the beginning :shock:
Hellybeds

Post by Hellybeds »

Thanks tiredmum.

Yes, I have already written letters to the two favoured grammar schools, just so that it is on record, and then will approach again in the new year.

I think it is next spring when to reviews take place.

DD has already got the levels, it will just be a case, of taking a test if required, and more importantly, a place being available.

Fingers crossed and I will keep you posted.