Worried...need advice

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
tdb69

Worried...need advice

Post by tdb69 »

I had decided that I would like my son to go to a grammar school. He is a bright boy, but not exceptional. However, asked his teacher what she thought his chances might be and she said she thought he would be unlikely to manage to get in, but as hadn't know him for long I should ask her again in a few months. I am shocked as I thought he was capable. My question is, has anybody else been in this position and what would you do? I feel confident enough to work with him preparing for the tests.
lmd

Re: Worried...need advice

Post by lmd »

You don't say how old your DS is, but assuming he's Y5 you still have plenty of time to prepare him for the exam.

I wouldn't always listen to what the teacher says. Some of them are quite anti-grammar schools, others don't have enough experience to really be able to assess.

When I asked my son's teacher this, she also said no, but it turned out she was thinking of Pates and didn't really know about the other GSs. He is now very happily in another Glos GS.

In Y5 most (all?) state primary schools do CAT tests, which are a bit like IQ tests. If you ask for your son's scores that'll give you an indication of whether he's above average or not (100 is average, 115+ is pretty bright, 130+ is very bright.) Also whether he's generally on the top tables at school etc and seems to like schoolwork.
tdb69

Post by tdb69 »

Thanks lmd. He is in Year 5 , yes, but at an independent school. The teacher does have experience but doesn't know my son very well yet. I'm not sure whether they do CAT tests.
He does like schoolwork, but can dream (inherited from me I'm afraid!) and lacks confidence in his own ability at times. I think he is capable, but the last thing i want to do is for him to attend a school where he will struggle.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi - just as a thought, is his school one that goes to 13? Some of these schools are not keen on losing kids at 11 and not partic supportive with regards to the 11 plus
tdb69

Post by tdb69 »

I don't think so, but a good thought! I think she genuinely thinks he won't manage , but I hope she will change her mind once she has known him a little longer!!!