Help - diffiering abilities in different siblings

Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

JaysDarlin

Help - diffiering abilities in different siblings

Post by JaysDarlin »

Could I please have some advice.

Is it true that some kids 'can' do the 11+ and some kids just 'can't'?

Lots of people, including ds2's school teacher says that only exceptionally bright kids should take the test. How true is this? I didnt think it was at all, but recently with ds2, it emerging that he really is a slow thinker, and it takes him time to work things out. Could it be he really isnt 11+ material? Is it because I am comparing him to ds1 that I think he is slow? Should I be viewing him as his own person, who has strengths and weaknesses differing from his elder brother, and tackling things differently. My instinct tells me that he is doing fine, and will not be the same as ds1, but I fear that I'm fooling myself!

Certain question types are taking him ages... we have surely started late in the day, with 6 weeks left for Langley, but thankfully 3 1/2 months to Tiffin, our first choice.... we have paced ourselves far too well (!) with exam papers, so far we have only done 3 bright sparks papers and covered IPS. In all weak areas I have printed him extra practice questions and hammered them in with practice, practice, practice, but some questions take up to 1:20 seconds.... do we have any hope?

The main areas which slow him down are:

Word Letter Codes TRAP = USBQ what does DPME mean?
The Letter Connections: CD is to EF as IJ is to [ ]
Word Number Codes: BEND DONE LEAD 8436 1648 7628 He can take up to 3:30 mins on these questions. That's 1:10 seconds per question, as each question has three parts.

Will continued practice speed him up? For tutors, have you ever come across children who you didn't feel 'had it in them'?
patricia

Re: Help - diffiering abilities in different siblings

Post by patricia »

Over the years I have given up children who are unable to grasp the concept of VR. I am very honest with my parents. I sometimes continue with borderline children, however I make my position clear with the parents. These borderline children are capable but a liitle slower in their thinking, however I know with maturity and a little parental help they will thrive in a grammar school environment.

Timing on the codes, I think we have discussed the long codes type C before, type N cracking the code and answering the 3 questions should take under 2 minutes. Type U are very quick, 20 seconds a question.

Practice, Practice, Practice.

Patricia
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Is he 'up'enough with the rest of the types to be able to get the weak ones wrong, but still pass?

In my own view (as a mother, and no way an expert) I would keep on going and even enter for the test, you have nothing to lose. You can't win what you don't enter for!

PS: Congratulations on the pregnancy Jay! :D
patricia

Post by patricia »

oooh congratulations from me too, I didnt notice the ticker...

Patricia
JaysDarlin

Post by JaysDarlin »

Thank you...! :) It's a toughie!!!

Well, gladly he has got the concepts of VR, but he just a bit slow. Thankfully, we have lots to practice with *cant believe Im writing this after my whole plan to have it all covered by now*... so time to practice it all now!

Patricia, you once wrote a post explaining your technique for type N questions, word number codes..... do you or (anyone) know where it is?
TraffordMum

Post by TraffordMum »

I faced this with one of my children who could inevitably get the right answer but was incredibly slow in getting there. We identified two or three types of questions that she took the most time over and got to the point where she left those questions until the end and then went back to them if she had time (with the caveat that if she did run out of time then she had to guess, any answer being better than no answer). In my view it was better to have a stab at getting 47/50 right rather than getting bogged down early on and only attempting 40 questions in total.

As it was, she didn't finish any of her papers in the time allotted :shock: , but she did pass and is doing very well, and has speeded up as the years have passed :)

My other child was incredibly speedy but incredibly inaccurate ;)
JaysDarlin

Post by JaysDarlin »

Thanks Trafford Mum, that was a very reassuring answer, let's see how we fare in the next 6 weeks, he seems to be improving with NVR thankfully... he's hit the 90%!

If all else fails, we will try your technique... we are currently in the 70% area with VR...

Here's to prayer, practice and deep breathing!

JaysDarlin

Post by JaysDarlin »

I thought I would update this thread for future reader's reference that although ds2 was much slower, with practice and coaching at home we did eventually make it... And also, he scored higher in VR than NVR!

Think big, folks!
TraffordMum

Post by TraffordMum »

As an earlier poster in this thread, I am delighted to hear of your second son's success and I saw earlier that he will be going to Tiffin Boys with his brother. Well done to all of you.

Now for No 3. I hope you were chanting synonyms and antonyms to her in the womb. I wonder how many of us will still be here in 9 years time when you check in again? ;)
JaysDarlin

Post by JaysDarlin »

Lol! Thanks Trafford Mum,

I have DS3 in year 3... We will be back again next year, as I'm going to start prepping early!

I wonder if grammars will still be around in 9 years?!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now