Predicted A-level grades

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Marylou

Predicted A-level grades

Post by Marylou »

Given the amount of discussion about having good predicted grades for "A" level (and regardless of how much notice admissions tutors take of them) - there doesn't seem to be any provision these on the UCAS form. :? At what point is this information conveyed to admissions tutors...is it included in the reference from the school tutor, or should it be mentioned in the personal statement?
Marylou
magwich2

Re: Predicted A-level grades

Post by magwich2 »

We are just going through the process at the moment and at DD's school the predicted grades are included in tthe school reference. The school allow girls to see this reference before it is sent although I believe from speaking to UCAS that they are not required to do this. The school only have to let the student see the reference but this can be after it has bee submitted which is clearly not so useful.
What does seem to be the case is that it is worth arguing about predicted grades wherever they are not as high as you would like because they seem to be assuming ever more importance with admissions tutors.
Anecdotal evidence abounds of people who have been denied places because the predictions were not high enough.
For example Oxford is being somewhat disengenuous when it says it will not make A* offers in this admissions cycle since,when pressed, the admissions office say that they will want to see as many A* predictions as possible.
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

magwich2 wrote:We are just going through the process at the moment and at DD's school the predicted grades are included in tthe school reference. The school allow girls to see this reference before it is sent although I believe from speaking to UCAS that they are not required to do this. The school only have to let the student see the reference but this can be after it has bee submitted which is clearly not so useful.
What does seem to be the case is that it is worth arguing about predicted grades wherever they are not as high as you would like because they seem to be assuming ever more importance with admissions tutors.
Anecdotal evidence abounds of people who have been denied places because the predictions were not high enough.
For example Oxford is being somewhat disengenuous when it says it will not make A* offers in this admissions cycle since,when pressed, the admissions office say that they will want to see as many A* predictions as possible.
Thanks for the info. I hadn't thought about A* predictions - but that is certainly an interesting point about Oxford. They may not be making A* offers, but they are clearly taking A* predictions into account...

We are just happy that DD is predicted to get the grades normally requested for the course she wants to do. We know that anywhere asking for AAB last year will probably be after AAA this year, and apart from Cambridge I don't think anyone will be asking for an A*...but as DD is offering 4 subjects at A2 we are hoping it wont count against her if she is "only" predicted 4 As!
Marylou
workhard

Re: Predicted A-level grades - Warwick Maths

Post by workhard »

Hi all!

I was told this by a Warwick academic last autumn. Warwick Maths were so terribly oversubscribed by academically stunning candidates for 2010/11 entry that, even with the A* grade due at A level, many applicants with even 4 A* grades predicted were expected to be turned down. As with most faculties, their eventual offer to successful applicants was actually a bit lower, but included the 'spice' of a STEP Maths exam.

Their web sites states that their 'Standard Offer for Admission in October 2011' is:

A*(Maths), A*(Further Maths), A (most subjects), 2 (STEP Maths) or

A*(Maths), A(Further Maths), A (most subjects), 1 (STEP Maths).

1 and 2 denote grades in a Maths STEP paper. (Distinction in AEA is accepted instead of grade 2 in a STEP paper.)

Good luck to all candidates for next year's uni enty!

WH
Last edited by workhard on Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KenR

Post by KenR »

Iinteresting about Maths at Warwick - when I looked through the UCAS Clearing course list Maths (and Applied derivatives) were one of the very subjects area that still had had places available via clearing for some of the top Russell League Universities.

Most of the Russell league Universities are still making offers of AAB for maths, with A in Maths and at least a B in Further Maths.

What I'm not sure about is what view they have about IB - my son's School (KE 5-ways) B/Ham is offering IB for next years sixth form(alongside A Levels) and the school is making a heavy PR campaign to get parents to switch to IB. I don't know what the view is of Univ Maths dep't about IB Maths- anyone got any views or information?
workhard

Re: Predicted A-level grades - Warwick Maths

Post by workhard »

Hi KenR!

We will not have the final 2010/11 entry feedback for some weeks yet. I suppose it is just about possible that they got it wrong with their offers in the first year of the A* grade at A Level, ending up with too few successful candidates.

Warwick has tended to have a standard Maths offer comparable to Cambridge's, sometimes a bit higher.

Warwick Maths still does not interview, so it cannot differentiate with tutorial style interview sessions, nor does it have any Warwick-specific tests. This may be why its aim to have a transparent, wholly objective and consistent process for all applicants, culminates in the final 'hurdle' of objective of quite high ACTUAL A Level and STEP results.

Regarding IB, the Warwick Maths web site states:

'Applicants with Alternative Qualifications

We encourage applications from students with other academic backgrounds.
Typical offers include:

International Baccalaureate (IB)

A total of 39 points including 7 in Higher Level Maths and 6 in two more HL subjects.'

Do nose around some other Maths faculty sites; they may well have comparable info.

Good luck!

WH
KB

Post by KB »

As a general point I would not encourage anyone to do IB at an institution that is offering it for the first time.

Know of 2 otherwise good places that introduced it and the first year was awful mess...
surreymum

Post by surreymum »

I would second that