11+ Appeal Lincs (Dyslexia)

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Edward

11+ Appeal Lincs (Dyslexia)

Post by Edward »

Hello Everyone,

Any advice would be gratefully received.

My daughters scored 105 vr and 111 nv the 'pass' mark was 220
We appealed on grounds that in the vr test where her mark was unexpectedly low MH lost a good 5-10 mins as she had been ill, had to go to the loo etc. Our appeal was not supported.
However since the appeal MH has been screened for Dyslexia and the result showed high traits, we have been informed we can appeal again.
Help please
U400JB9

Re: 11+ Appeal Lincs (Dyslexia)

Post by U400JB9 »

I cannot offer much help except to say, if you have nerves of steel and you know the Grammar school is the place for your child....keep going.

We have been very lucky and got a place on appeal today, I also have a friend who got into Grantham GS on appeal last week....against all the odds.

If we hadn`t tried then we would never have known......

Good luck
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Hello

It sounds as if you've been granted another appeal because of significant new evidence.

Have you seen the Q&As?
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/11plus ... nswers.php

For non-qualification, you need evidence of extenuating circumstances (which you already have), plus evidence of high ability. See:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/11plus ... rs.php#b11

It would be worth asking whether the school is now full up for September in the relevant year group, because, if it is, you'll also be appealing against oversubscription. For the sort of case you'd need to present (in addition to the academic one), see:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/11plus ... ers.php#c2
Etienne
Edward

Post by Edward »

Thank you so much for your reply, will read through all the links and post tomorrow (got a very sick dog also who needs medication every hour).
The school is already over subscribed, as we have just found out about dyslexia MH has never had any help with regards to stategies etc, however MH has had sats pedications of 4a's (at home when we have practised sats papers her mark has been higher but then again this is probably because she has read the questions out loud which we have just found out is a strategy dyslexics use because it is utilising another sense
MH will be attending private tuition for dyslexia also to provide/help her with strategies etc

Thank you again
kitty1509

Post by kitty1509 »

Hi Edward,

Right to start with has your duaghter now been statemented, if this is the case then you have good grounds for appeal, my son is also dyslexic and after speaking to the local grammer for boys, i was advised that he would be allocated extra time for the test providing that he is given support in the primary school and of course that he was statemented.

In all honesty we have dicussed this in length with both my son and the school and we have decided not to go for grammer. But don't let this put you off. Have you considered having her tested private. We have a private tutor for our son, and she is absolutly fab, I have high praise for her, my son has just come on leaps and bounds since seeing her.

My advise would be to speak with the choosen grammer and ask if they would have given her extra time if she had been diagnosed, if this is the case then get her tested, it is of course expensive, but once you have this it is valuable. Also speak with the primary school and ask for there advice, do they support her, have they recognised any of the typical signs of dyslexia. Remember you will have to prove everything, you will need to show that these stratagies that you are now demonstrating are having an impact and that if this had been used during the test she would have passed.

Good luck
Kitty.
wonderwoman

Post by wonderwoman »

Hi

Who did the dyslexia assessment? Was it an educational psychologist? Their report would be useful in a new appeal.
Edward

Post by Edward »

Thanks to you all for your help, my daughter has recently had a full psychological assessment, the results being she is moderately dyslexic her areas of weakness are spelling, writing, memory her comprehension is good (which probably explains why she achieved a level 5 in Reading SATS and a level 3 in writing SATS). Unfortunately the diagnosis came too late for her to be granted any extra help with regards the sats, however the psychologist has recommended that she is allowed extra time and a reader for exams from now on. So fingers crossed for the appeal in September.
Morning Glory

Post by Morning Glory »

Hi Edward

I would definately appeal as you have been given the opportunity.

My DS has Aspergers and moderate Dyslexia. He was granted an enlarged answer sheet, a break and tested separately for 11+, extra time was refused although we had an EP report stating he would require it. He failed we appealed and won our case. For SATs we were granted extra time, a scribe and tested separately. He got all 5's.

If you don't have a statement (believe me these are extremely hard to get- we are currently in the process of appealing refusal to assess) then extra time and other adjustments are not given automatically and you have to ensure the school applys for them. You also have to have up to date assessments, so every few years or before exams she will need an up to date assessment. For adjustments like a reader or scribe they have to use these in class so you can't just decide they need one for the exam they have to rely on one in a classroom setting. If your daughter got 5 in her reading then you may not have a strong enough case for a reader but a 3 in writing would lean more toward the benefit of a scribe.

Good luck with the appeal and hope you get the support from whatever school she goes to.

MG
drummer

Post by drummer »

As I understand it a 'statement' is supposed to be for children at the extreme end of any disability, ie that only 1%. of people would be as severely affected. I don't see how being moderatly dyslexic would qualify and it is notoriously difficult to get even 'severely' dyslexic children statemented (of course MG's case is different with Aspergers as well).
Edward

Post by Edward »

After being advised on the telephone that yes we can appeal again due to an extreme change in circumstance, ie discovering that MH was dyslexic after the first appeal, we have received a letter refusing to rehear the appeal.
Also found out that MH was suspected of being dyslexic by her primary school when she was 6, unfortunately we were never informed of this.
MH is described as a bright dyslexic, we have decided to home school for the time being so MH can realise her potential based on her general ability with private tutoring to help her with her dyslexia.
Thanks to all for your advice.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now