Remedy for Careless Mistakes?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

pixiequeen

Remedy for Careless Mistakes?

Post by pixiequeen »

Has anyone got the above that they'd like to share? :?

Have just about cracked the timing thing by giving lots of short papers. Oddly enough DD can get 100% on a short paper (20 questions) but makes lots of errors on 50 mins. papers. I don't mind if she genuinely doesn't know the answer - but she got 4 out of 7 compound words wrong on the last paper she did (and lots of other random questions too) and when I asked her to re-do them she gave me the correct answer straight away and was disbeliving when I told her the answers she'd originally given.

It's not always compound words, and it's never the same question types, it appears to just be carelessness. :evil:

Am wondering if we should just stop all VR now. She doesn't seem stressed and is still willing to do papers in return for Chocolate, I just don't know how to get her to raise her game and don't want to seem to be putting the pressure on at this late stage.

Is there a cure for this or should I just hope she pulls it out of the bag on the day?

Any advice/suggestions very welcome.

Roll on 9th October - just want it over now.
Alice in Underland

Re: Remedy for Careless Mistakes?

Post by Alice in Underland »

My son can whizz his way through a 50 minute paper but also makes random careless mistakes. I think this might just be normal for a majority of kids. Also it is difficult for children this age to concentrate for so long.

He is also completely bored with verbal reasoning papers. Apart from giving him 2 back to back at the weekend to check he can do them in the time available we are not grinding through old papers any more. Happier to spend the time playing games or just working on improving his vocabulary by reading and discussing new words.
Good Luck !
yogkruti

Post by yogkruti »

Maybe try raising the number of questions slowly per day? eg: first giving 30, then 40 and so on (till say 80/100 depending upon your exam).
Red

Post by Red »

You could try this method if DC is amenable.
Once DC has finished the paper, mark it privately and identify to the DC how many mistakes there are but not where they are. Then praise/reward DC for finding those mistakes and having a good attempt at correction.

Hope this helps

Red
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

DS1 had this problem. Once he knew which school he wanted to go to I told him the marks he needed to be getting. Then I would go through the paper with him adding on the marks for the questions he could have got right and showing him it meant either getting into or not getting into that school.

That said neither of mine ever managed 100. I don't think it was in their nature to be that meticulous.
pixiequeen

Post by pixiequeen »

Thank you all for your comments.

We have had a much better day today (Went to Denmark Road open morning and then decided to keep DD off for the rest of the day as she had slight sniffle - so long as she agreed to do some VR!) :D

Explained that it was time to start being much more careful, insisted she wrote notes for absolutely everything and sat with her to keep her focused while she did one of the Nfer papers. She got 94% which is her highest mark yet. Did one of the 30 mins IPS papers in the afternoon, offering packet of chocolate buttons for score over 94% and she managed to get 98%. (Think her chocolate addiction is going to cause her problems soon but it's working for us at the moment... :oops: )

Going to try and work up to achieving the same sorts of scores on the Walsh papers but feel we have made lots of progress today.

Thank you all for helping focus on what we needed to do. I'm so glad I'm not doing this on my own!! :D
Milla

Post by Milla »

chocolate can be cruelly snatched away and its existence totally denied come midday on Sat 9th. :D
[img]http://sl.glitter-graphics.net/pub/47/47055t4vjrz296r.gif[/img]
pixiequeen

Post by pixiequeen »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I will be keeping all the chocolate for ME to get me through the following week. It will be accompanied by no more than 1 bottle of wine per evening. :D
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now