Hello..... help May Birthday.....!!!!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
loli34

Hello..... help May Birthday.....!!!!

Post by loli34 »

Hi - I have been an avid follower of this site for the last few weeks as the exam date looms. wish I had found it earlier.. looking forward to receiving support and just having people to chat over anxiety's to.

Despite numerous attempts and reading lots of posts by "tree" and Sally-Anne - I am still a little stumped by the scoring system we were told by the school that somewhere in the late 60's was probably good enough to pass, however having read the posts on this site I am now beginning to realise that this is not the case.....

I have home-tutored my ds - this has been somewhat challenging as she is what you would describe as quite highly strung and at times she just hasn't wanted to do much - although to be fair she has really upped her game in the last month finally realising what is stake and after looking at WHS last week she is now more determined than ever.

Can anyone help with scoring for a May birthday...... practice papers were 72 67 and 69 respectiveley - she is constantly hitting the late 60's and we have worked our way through the Susan Daughtrey papers and in 1 and 2 she scored 67 and 69 again - will this be enough to pass ???????? :? :? :?
bellybops

Re: Hello..... help May Birthday.....!!!!

Post by bellybops »

Hi Loli34

You need the true experts on this (like Tree, Sally Anne & Patricia) but I use a very crude "add on 2 marks" for my April born DD. There are so many variables though....

Good luck & chin up - thank goodness I'm a gin drinker! :lol:
loli34

Post by loli34 »

I reckon I may need a gin or two over the coming weeks - no-one told me it would be stressful like this - I am desperatly trying to make light of it at home......... you see just to understand me a little more - I am not grammer school educated neither is my husband in-fact no-one in our immediate family has gone to GS - my daughter has always been very bright she loves school and excels in most things that she does, I just feel that WHS would be perfect for her - don't get me wrong we have a perfectly ok upper school as back up - it's just that I can't bear the thought of her getting 120 or 119 - I would rather her fail it miserably......... sorry I am really rambling !
bellybops

Post by bellybops »

Rambling is good - I'm a good ol' Comp girl myself but sadly the Grammar system leaves me no choice but to go with it to have the best choice for my DD. The Grammars are actually 15 miles from home so it's a long day but sadly the local state schools are not an option & DD would not be happy there.

Remember that a pass is a pass - 121 - even 119,120 with a good appeal. Once they are through the schools (apparently) dont know their scores so then it's a level playing field.

My DS is in Grammar & LOVES it - fabulous school & really enjoying it there.

Stay strong - if she has worked hard, then early nights, hugs, cuddles, the odd times table & a tricky word & then we'll be through this very soon! :D

Need to deal with my insomnia now!!
Hope

Post by Hope »

Hi Loli34
I know exactly how you are feeling we have been in the same position as you, twice. I felt both my kids would do well at grammar school and I was concerned about the 119/120 scores and unfortunately my worries came true. they both scored 119 and we decided to appeal twice. Luckily we were sucessful both times and they are both happy at their respective grammar schools.

I hope you don't end up in the same position as us but it can be sorted in the end.

Good luck and enjoy the gin!
loli34

Post by loli34 »

Thank you so much for your comments x it means something to know that other people feel the same as me. i.e trying to go with the grammer system. And really reassuring to know that people have had successful appeals, although i have had a brief look at what an appeal entails and - my goodness that is quite over-whelming.

Less than two days till the first paper and trying to stay calm and re-iterate that we just want her to do her very best :wink: :wink:
guest666

Post by guest666 »

bellypops

It is not true to say that the schools don't know the scores. The LEA has been known to supply a list of pupils with the scores attached.

It has also been known for pupils to pass who subsequently struggle to keep up becuase they are well below the normal academic standards of the school.

Incidentally if the school's intake is assessed using CATs, a different type of test, there is often a wide range of ability identified
bellybops

Post by bellybops »

Goodness - that's news to me - I was always led to believe that the schools were told in or out & then they would take it from there. In a way it's good for them to know so they can "support" anyone needing it - although, IMHO, the 11+ is not a true reflection of a child's ability! Guest666, you are so right - an overcoached child who passes the 11+ may not necessarily be heading in the right direction!

Am now on the gin - everything has stopped, DD has a new Wii game & the bath is running for a lovely bubbly bath before an early night!

Forgot Patricia's rule of no pasta - OH NO!! :roll:

All the very best to everyone - let's just hug these kids & send them off with a banana!
mummytroubles

Post by mummytroubles »

Okay so I'm freaked now! The first test is Thursday and not tomorrow right?? :shock:
crecheout

Post by crecheout »

Yes, Thursday!!!!
So pasta is probably ok for tonight!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now