Wallington Girls Exam today

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
silverkaylah

Wallington Girls Exam today

Post by silverkaylah »

Hi all

How did your DD's find the exam today?
My DD found the VR not too bad but the maths paper quite hard, with 5 mins to go she had 7 questions that she was stuck on so made educated guesses! :?
On looking at previous years comments, I gather that last year a lot of girls found the Wallington test suprisingly easier than the Nonsuch one, my daughter thought they were as hard as each other this year, what do you all think?
just4fun

Re: Wallington Girls Exam today

Post by just4fun »

hi,
my daughter found maths quiet easy, verbal was ok as well. Now what ok means, i dont really know.
But she said that it wasnt to compare with nonsuch. That was really hard for her. Especially nv.

What do other kids say? :wink:
hotchoc

Post by hotchoc »

My DD thought the maths was easy but the VR was harder. VR was a similar level to Nonsuch.

Now we wait! I hope they are going to give us a better indication of how they did than just pass or fail - there were a lot of girls there yesterday. Does anyone know how many sessions there were? I know of the 10:30 and 2:30 sessions and I think there was another one earlier in the morning??
abr

Post by abr »

hotchoc - DD took the 8.30am. So that makes it at least 3 sessions
DD says VR and Maths were equally ok. Not sure if ok = good, very good or excellent.
Relatively spekaing, across 4 papers, Wally - VR+Maths/non such VR+NVR, NVR at non such seems to be her most difficult one.
silverkaylah

Post by silverkaylah »

Hi all

Feeling a little bit down now about the Wally girls test. We knew that maths was her weak point but from the responses to this thread it seems that the general consensus is the maths paper wasn't too bad.

I have tried to get my head around the scoring process but obviously my daughters aptitude for maths, or lack of it, comes from me and I can't make head nor tail of it!! :oops:

She seems to think that she has done ok on the VR reasoning paper and in the mocks and test papers was getting around 85-90%, her maths in the mock was 74% and we expect roughly that sort of mark for the exam. Is anyone able to tell me in layman terms, how the scoring is worked out, ie are the two papers each 50% towards the final score etc??
kk dad

Post by kk dad »

silverkaylah,

don't be too despondent. my dd sat the test last year and missed out 5 questions on the maths test and a couple on the VR but was offered a place comfortably above cut off.

My advice would be to try not to place too much emphasis on how other children have done - you have no way of benchmarking other childrens ability against your own so comparing just causes unnecessary anguish. Trust me - i went through exactly what your feeling now.
silverkaylah

Post by silverkaylah »

Thankyou so much kk dad.

I know that I need to stop worrying now as what's done is done, however it's very hard as if we're unsuccessful with the grammar schools, our only other realistic school is not one that I am too keen on.
Your words, however, have certainly helped :)
whathappened

Post by whathappened »

Hi Silverkaylah, please try not to worry.my dd only scored 58% in the mock exams for maths! my dd came out happy and told me that the maths was ok and the verbal ok,there is nothing i can work out from her answer but i would like you to know that last year several of my friends were on a real high because their dds had come out of the exams and had found them really easy.well,2 weeks later some of them had passed,some had not and (bless her) the one litle girl i had been really hoping for,managed to pass and is now happily at nonsuch, even though she was the little girl who always told her mum everything was so hard and she was not as clever as her friends! There are always little suprises along the way so fingers crossed for all your dds.I am just so proud that my dd was sitting the exam in the first place.we are really lucky to be in this position.best wishes to all.
sostressed

Post by sostressed »

My daughter sat the NonSuch and Wallington tests. We had done just a little prep which meant she was completely freaked by the NonSuch test - not really concentrated on timing etc. She found the VR difficult and the Non VR ok. I am so relieved that she is not alone.
She was much more relaxed for Wallington and thought both papers reasonable. However she can be prone to working out the correct answer but writing/marking an incorrect one. Just have to wait and see.........................................
silverkaylah

Post by silverkaylah »

Am feeling a little more relaxed today.
Our open evenings for non grammar schools started this week and last night we went and had a look round our closest school which is a strong probability if the grammar results are not as hoped.
Whilst my DD has her heart set on one of the grammar schools, I was quite happy with what I saw at the local comp.
Strangely enough my DH had a different view. It's funny how we seemed to view the school in a completely different way. Whereas I picked up on all of the positives and put a lot of weight on the way the DC, who were showing us round, behaved and answered any of our questions, my DH was looking more at the fabric of the building and the (lack of) facilities ie computers.
Unfortunately the school in question was due to benefit from the Building Schools for the Future programme which has now been frozen under the new government.

We only have a couple of weeks wait now before we get the results from Nonsuch and Wallington girls tests (albeit just a pass or fail from the latter)

Good luck to all of your DD's
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now