Fake market research phone calls

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Sally-Anne

Fake market research phone calls

Post by Sally-Anne »

Just a warning for the benefit of all.

I had a call just now from someone claiming to be from "Lifestyle Research Centre", claiming to be conducting market research. A man, with what seemed to be an Indian accent.

He asked for my postcode, at which point I asked him who he was conducting research for. He ducked the question. I gave him a false postcode, and he then wanted my house number (he gave a range of numbers, so I just picked one at random). He then asked for my surname, and at that point I decided enough was enough and said goodbye.

1471 reveals (surprise, surprise) that the caller's number is not known.

Google reveals that these people are a regular pest, probably based in the Philippines and just aiming to harvest your contact details and personal information. Anyone disclosing their personal data to them ends up with a series of aggressive, foot-in-the-door salesmen.

Although we are ex-directory and registered with the Telephone Preference Service that is of no help at all because the numbers are just generated by a computer.

Don't fall for it folks!
yoyo123

Re: Fake market research phone calls

Post by yoyo123 »

i have had a load of e-mails in the past week all allegedly about my internet banking, all from banks with whom I do not have an account..

they ask me to click on a link to confirm by banking details. So far I have had 7 ..

looks like it is silly season again
zorro

Post by zorro »

I have had 3 of these fake banking emails too. I just report them as spam and don't open them.
Just1-2go

Post by Just1-2go »

jfyi If you check on the bank in questions website they give an email address to forward phishing or unsolicited emails.
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

Regarding the bank e-mails - the culprits send out millions of these in the hope that just a few will respond, making it worth their while. The way of the world being what it is, they inevitably get their way... :(

Regarding the phone calls, I respond to sales calls of any kind with "Sorry, they're out - I only work here!" - that usually does the trick! :lol:
Marylou
doodles

Post by doodles »

I think I get about one of the bank scams a week - and even from banks I don't have an account with.

I also get a lot of emails asking me to help people whose partner/colleague/relative has died/been killed in a car crash/done an odd deal and they need to get a lot of money out of some weird country and I am the best person to help them! All I have to do is supply all of my personal details :lol: :lol: :lol:
zorro

Post by zorro »

Yep, get those too - usually from Nigeria!!
Tip for cold callers - say you are only a tenant, they lose interest very quickly!
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

We suffer phone calls about computer viruses, the latest one from "BT" because our computer was causing a problem to the phone line.

I ask them to hold as there is someone at the door, etc, etc, etc.

My thinking is while they are holding, and they do hold :) , they are not phoning the next number. :lol:
Plum

Post by Plum »

Unfortunately, my mum has been a victim of scam phone calls since the beginning of the year. We have reported it to the police but they can't do anything as the calls originate from abroad.

They tell my mum that they have claimed back money from her bank (usually several thousand pounds) and to collect it she needs to go to her local post office and pay £98 to a Mr Raj and a certain account number.

The problem is my mum has dementia. She has been found a couple of times on her way to the post office "to meet someone" she says.

The good thing is she doesn't really have the facilities to make the payment and realises when we discuss it that it is a scam. However, she then forgets what we have said and that the people have rung, so when they ring again (sometimes 4 or 5 times a day), she takes down all the information again!

The other thing is that as they have not managed to get any money out of her, they keep passing her onto another "gang" and the story changes. So far, both my sisters, brother, husband and uncle have all had conversations with these guys, told them we know it's a scam (in not always the politest of terms) and tell them to stop ringing but they don't.

We are now going to have to change her number - this is something we didn't want to do as she's had it for over 25 years and knows it. She will never remember a new one. Also, all the extended family and friends know it, so we will have to contact everyone.

Thanks for this topic - feels good to get this all off my chest, it has been going on for so long now......

Plumx
yogkruti

Post by yogkruti »

I get these as well - with proper English accents... trying to sell dodgy shares... I was told by a friend that these folks are based all over the place... right from London to some "boiler rooms" in Spain.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now