Error in NVR AE workbook 2?

Advice on 11 Plus NVR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
2Girlsmum

Error in NVR AE workbook 2?

Post by 2Girlsmum »

I think that exercise 11:4 Q2 is incorrect, but would like confirmation if possible. The main shape (speaker) rotates anticlockwise as does the circle, but the circle is in the same position in image 2 and 3. I can't really mark dd wrong as the one she chose was one of 2 potentially correct answers (circle in position 1, not position 3, which should have been 2, and makes 3-5 all wrong!
stevew61

Re: Error in NVR AE workbook 2?

Post by stevew61 »

Hope I'm looking at the same question.

Elements, speaker orientation, shading of speaker, position of ball, colour of ball.

Starting at the end of the sequence and working from right to left (gives three in a sequence so more info.) using a bit of hindsight/foresight?
Shading slant/horizontal/slant/?/slant so ?=horizontal (slants are all same top left to bottom right)

eliminate a and b

Speaker orientation c d e all same.

Ball Colour white/black/white/?/white so black

eliminate d

leaves c and e

Ball position right/left/right/?/top???

so ignoring the last odd top ball position? I would say ball = left

so answer is C

Looks like the first shape in the sequence has a mistake in the ball position!

We have not ticked off the level 4 & 5 questions as being completed satisfactorily, I think these higher level questions have been a bit rushed in this book, which is otherwise brilliant. :)
Alex

Post by Alex »

I have got a bit lost trying to follow this but:
answer b is wrong because the shading has to alternate between being diagonal left to right and being horizontal - shading must be horizontal making answer c the correct one.

Does this help or have I completely missed the point?

edit - Steve has beaten me to it with a much fuller explanation!!
2Girlsmum

Post by 2Girlsmum »

Thanks - I knew that either image 1 or images 3-5 were wrong, but the mistake makes 'C' no more correct than 'E' which dd chose as she couldn't decide between them in view of the mistake. Does anyone know if there are other mistakes in the book, or shall we hunt for them through the tests:)

I agree with stevew61 - they are excellent books and a different approach to the Bond 'How to do' one. We bought the first 2 Composition ones which are excellent.
Complete Novice

Post by Complete Novice »

I don't think this is an error. It is a 6 sided shape and the ball is moving around the shape in a clockwise direction so that it is "stuck" to each side in turn. If answer 'e' were correct, it would have skipped a side. If it is moving strictly around one side at a time, then only 'c' can be the answer.

CN
JaysDarlin

Post by JaysDarlin »

By gosh, Complete Novice is right.

*shudder* Sometimes I think NVR plays tricks on me.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now