Would you do it again?

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Would you do it again?

Post by Guest »

Having just survived the 11+ experience, I was curious,as to whether you would go through it again and if the answer is yes, what would you do/not do the second time round? If the answer is no - why?

I found the whole experience quite hard. I am not sure I want or could cope with going through it all again, with my second child, yet I feel I owe her the same chances/choices.

I just wondered if anyone feels the same way as me.
quest

Re: Would you do it again?

Post by quest »

Anonymous wrote:Having just survived the 11+ experience, I was curious,as to whether you would go through it again and if the answer is yes, what would you do/not do the second time round? If the answer is no - why?

I found the whole experience quite hard. I am not sure I want or could cope with going through it all again, with my second child, yet I feel I owe her the same chances/choices.

I just wondered if anyone feels the same way as me.
I think second will bit easier because we know what are the books and paper to use. Also it is not fair on the other kid if we don't try it..
guestkent

Post by guestkent »

I think the answer to your question really depends on the choices which you have.

Where we are, our choices are;
a) sit the eleven plus, with all the stress that is involved
b) go to a very under achieving local school

So as far as we are concerned the stress is worth the chance of getting into a very good GS.

However, if we had some chance of getting our sons into decent comprehensives then we might decide not to do the 11+.

Post by Guest »

My second daughter has just passed and got her 1st choice grammar in Kent. I personally found it much easier second time around, you know what to expect and what to cover. I would say go for it!
laid back son worried mum

Post by laid back son worried mum »

Well, this was the second time around and it was easier in most ways..more to do with it being the same schools and the same systems and also the same sex!

The work was more or less the same altho the kiddos had different styles of learning and working. But we did compare how the 2nd did in practice papers with his bro's times and marks and they were quite close. So in some ways it was easier to gauge progress and schedules..by this time, we should have done Bk 4 of Nvr...etc

I would say it's ALWAYS best to keep all options open. You never know how the catchment distances are going to change, one year on, or exactly how many people will apply for which particular school.

Also, if you have practised for one or two schools, then if there are others you could try out for..go for it.(independent if you can..think of funding later as bursaries are available if you qualify)

We don't know how they are going to perform on the day but the main thing is a BIG DOLLOP of confidence and tip top healthy candidate!

Preparation with boys was really all thru their lives ,with a good grounding in basics(Maths and English) ,then the new 11+ requirements (nVR VR) around the May before exams and slowly building up in August .

Sept and Oct was really too busy with school visits and running around sorting forms..so all the work done in those two months was really revision and exam techniques and speed/accuracy practice.

Now if it was a angel daughter doing the test 2nd time around,I'd definitely be more stretched and may not have lived to tell the tale!

(In our area, the girls' places for grammar are even more limited.)
TraffordMum

Post by TraffordMum »

We will be doing it again with No 2 for 2008 entry.

I feel that we will be in a better position second time round because we can gauge the standard required better now based on No 1's experience. The whole experience was daunting and nerve-wracking but I will be ready to enter into battle again next year.
Laura

Post by Laura »

No we won't be doing it again, even though my daughter is high on the waiting list for the grammar and i have two younger children (+ one older at comp). Personally it's not worth the pressure and stress but then I do have other choices so maybe that makes a difference.
sj355

Post by sj355 »

I would do it a hundred times over! The process lasted a year; while the English was done by a tutor 1.5 hours/week (fantastic one, still using her!), I went over the maths and NVR with my son and we bonded through our mutual love for the former and our providing identical anwers (ofter wrong!) in the tests for the latter and collapsing into laughter! The fact that in the end he did pass his grammar school exams (two rounds), also provides a happy ending which leaves a sweet aftertaste. So it was path with some hard work, but also lots of laughs, and getting to know (and respect) my kid like never before. A pity he is an only child...

INEX
sj355
neurotic kent mum

Post by neurotic kent mum »

SJ355-
So agree with the NVR - even had to make my husband do a couple of papers so he would stop getting irritated about how difficult we both found it. It was wonderful when he realised he too did not have a clue! But got there in the end - can work out most of them now.

Yup would do it again. But want to be a better mother next time round. Too stressy, too neurotic, too pressured and too focussed this time. Next time will do it better.
sj355

Post by sj355 »

! But got there in the end - can work out most of them now.
Our kids or us? :lol: :lol: :lol: Pehaps we can now take the exams ourselves. I have a few NFER NVR ones which I still do not get it why the correct answer is the one stated on the answer sheet. :oops:
Yup would do it again. But want to be a better mother next time round. Too stressy, too neurotic, too pressured and too focussed this time. Next time will do it better.
Yes, I had a tendency to slip towards that sinful path as well, but my husband would never let me overwork him. Thank God for that!

Regards,

INEX
sj355